Just an idea..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShotCobra

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I know I'm busy right now with my rav being a very fancy doorstop.

But sometime in the future I would like to convert my tamiya 'hopper to nitro
it will be alot of work and i plan on putting the smallest nitro engine in it possible, 2 wheel drive only will have to replace most plastic parts with aluminum, custom work all around i would assume

do you think it would be possible to do that?ideas?

it wouldn't be for racing or bashing, mainly for show and easy drivin

i "think" it can be done, i have most of the aluminum, i just need to get it milled

the only thing i am having a hard time trying to figure out is the drivetrain
like i said this is a future project but id still like to get ideas i could jot down

That is/was my point. Getting a nitro mill to mate to that swing-arm solid rear is gonna be a BIG pain in the a$$--unless you do away with the whole rear end. Have you seen some of the Grasshopper vids on YouTube? A lot of guys are putting IRS and bigger motors in them, but I have yet to see a nitro conversion.

I miss my Grasshopper---till I remember how SLOW she was...

I had 2 complete Grasshoppers and enough spare parts for 2 more.
I think RC A is right about switching out the rear with one intended for nitro or independent suspension. You might want to consider going brushless instead.

They have tons of them at my LHS here. Consider Tamiya is from here so go figure right? But I think brushless would be the ticket or a good low turn brushed.

Every time I think about getting a new Grasshopper kit I start to think about how much money it would cost to get it to go half as fast as my Slash...

Are you forgetting about having to get the correct pitch clutch bell if you actually manage to pull this off ? especially should you try and keep the original rear end.

As to how to get the mill to mate to the rear end, surely a "Floating" platform mount would work ? I looked into a similar project a while ago, a "Floating" platform mount was the only option for a "Vertical" engine, but there were "other" options which included "Canting" (leaning) the motor by upto 45 deg.

Just my :2cents: consider it :spam: if you like, but just throwing an idea out there.

I think it will be impossible to keep original rearend.
I'm sure i will have to salvage parts off another vehicle
i dunno like i said its still in thought bubble stage :hehe::hehe:

Back