jb-weld on the carb?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just jb-welded the carb onto my Omega 21 comp. I had modified an OS carb to mill the carb neck down a couple mm so it would fit. Over time, the carb neck got a crack in it and I'm affraid to tighten it to keep it on since tightening it will crack it more.

So, I bent the crack out a little bit, cleaned everything completely with RA, let it dry, roughed it up with sand paper and smeared jb-weld all over the neck. Just a nice thin coat. I also took off the rubber o-ring that is typically right at the base of the neck so I could get a good tight fit between the carb body and crank case.

I'm just curious if anyone else has tried this. I've used jb-weld here and there. It sticks better to roughed up aluminum than it does plastic, but that's about all I know about it.

The website says it's good up to 500F, will bond to aluminum and is impervious to water, chemicals, gasoline and acids. I used the normal overnight stuff as the kwik weld doesn't hold up against high temps.

Sounds like a Ghetto Rig to me. Beats trashing the mill i guess. Interesting product usage, let us know how it holds up.

I'm more interested in this RA your using. Is it a new product or did you drink a little DA and are suffering from a downward alphabetical spiral? :D

Ghetto it is. I'm out of patience and ... patience. The omega ran like crap originally. I put 2 gallons through it and it never ran right. Which is why I modified an OS carb to fit. Then it screamed, tuned easily and had tons of power. I'm on gallon 7 and it still is a screamer. I have another piston/sleeve for the omega, so I'm trying to get the carb working right. I don't want to have to go back to the original carb... if I still have it.

RA - rubbing alcohol.
DA - denatured alcohol

DA is different from RA isn't it? I think RA has water in it. But I'm to lazy to pick up some DA.

well when duct tape fails jb-weld should work

This is kinda funny...My carb on my S Maxx just stripped where the hsn screws in so I jb welded it in there lol. I ordered a new one but I was hoping I could use this one until it got here. I'll find out later today if it works.

Yeah olds, that does sound like ur ghetto riggin it. But, if it works, thats awesome! Lets us know how it goes!