JATO project... I welcome your input.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvjv2009

The dork that asks all the stupid questions...
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was looking for a bit of a project. I may have bit off more than I can chew.. I aquired a jato on e bay. It appeared that everything was there except an engine, and it was. It's just everything is broken. It has alum arms but the end of one is damaged. I have plans of using RPM arms. I was looking at a dynamite .19 or .21 but I'd need a diff motor mount for the BB. I do have an Os .15 and a SH .18 both rotary carb. I will prob not use the now. I am still very new to the hobby, but handy. I would appreciate input and feedback.

That Dynamite .19 should drop right in.
Do you have any experience with that engine? I hear they are agood bang for the buck and easy to tune.

I have never ran one but it was design to drop into the T-Maxx so it should drop into the Jato.

I wouldn't overlook the TRX 3.3, we always look for aftermarket brands (myself included) but when properly tuned it is a strong engine.

I wouldn't overlook the TRX 3.3, we always look for aftermarket brands (myself included) but when properly tuned it is a strong engine.
I whole heartily agree it is wicked WHEN it is tuned right. I've got one on my t maxx classic. I had an awesome session a week ago with it. Wheelie poppin machine.

i have just finished a jato build myself ,a few things I would look at are the steering components as they can wear and cause erratic steering response best bet is to change out the bellcrank bushes for bearings.
for the engine I would go either the 3.3 or a dynamite .19 ,no experience with the latter but anything bigger is complete overkill. I dropped a fresh 3.3 with a losi 3.4 carb and a ths exhaust and its a rocket! ,I'm only just past break in and its still got more to go.
also the brakes can be a major issue ,best bet is to replace the disc and shoes or go for a dual disc setup which you can do by using stock trx parts ,its all in the fine tuning ,it took me several run to get the brakes to work properly.

i have just finished a jato build myself ,a few things I would look at are the steering components as they can wear and cause erratic steering response best bet is to change out the bellcrank bushes for bearings.
for the engine I would go either the 3.3 or a dynamite .19 ,no experience with the latter but anything bigger is complete overkill. I dropped a fresh 3.3 with a losi 3.4 carb and a ths exhaust and its a rocket! ,I'm only just past break in and its still got more to go.
also the brakes can be a major issue ,best bet is to replace the disc and shoes or go for a dual disc setup which you can do by using stock trx parts ,its all in the fine tuning ,it took me several run to get the brakes to work properly.
Thanks for the suggestions! I have read a lot about the brake issues. I just ordered a new Losi carb for my T maxx. I'm going to try it out first and make a decision between the .19 and a new 3.3/3.4 setup. Thanks again!

I had the .19 for a while, but the main bearing went out last time and took the piston out with it. Until then though, it was a great cheap engine, it held a great tune and would idle all day. Power wise, I think it had slightly less torque than a 3.3 but was still plenty for general bashing with a 2wd Stadium Truck. I've read about the bearings being crappy and failing pretty early, so I don't know if it was just their time or if the fact that my engine sat for almost 2 years. I had around a gallon through it, and had used it in my Rustler, and Jato. Keep in mind though, the engine is discontinued now so finding parts may start drying up, even though most engines under $100 aren't worth rebuilding to begin with.

Also, you can find the upgraded shocks in the chop shops on ebay for pretty cheap. Mine came from a Summit, and were under $10 with free shipping. I just used the springs and pistons from my stock shocks, and now I have hard anodized bodies with TiNi shafts.

Last edited:
I did the same thing with the shocks ,except the special person I bought mine from tried running rustler shocks with no success lol.I got the summit shocks and drilled the pistons to 1.5mm holes with 25wt works great and no extra parts needed.

I had the .19 for a while, but the main bearing went out last time and took the piston out with it. Until then though, it was a great cheap engine, it held a great tune and would idle all day. Power wise, I think it had slightly less torque than a 3.3 but was still plenty for general bashing with a 2wd Stadium Truck. I've read about the bearings being crappy and failing pretty early, so I don't know if it was just their time or if the fact that my engine sat for almost 2 years. I had around a gallon through it, and had used it in my Rustler, and Jato. Keep in mind though, the engine is discontinued now so finding parts may start drying up, even though most engines under $100 aren't worth rebuilding to begin with.

Also, you can find the upgraded shocks in the chop shops on ebay for pretty cheap. Mine came from a Summit, and were under $10 with free shipping. I just used the springs and pistons from my stock shocks, and now I have hard anodized bodies with TiNi shafts.
I did not realize that the .19 was discontinued. That makes me lean another way. Trx 3.3 with Losi or OS carb. Do you think a complete 3.4 Losi swap will work out?? I think that engine can be acquired for under $150..

Got a day at the house yesterday, so my sons and I got to work on the Jato project. After inspecting, I need a whole lot more parts than I first thought. Well I'm not one to throw out good parts, so I guess I will have a box of spares. I will prob replace most everything and keep the good parts I have now as spares.

you can mod a 3.4 engine to fit in a jato and run a trx backplate ,I put that engine in a revo 3.3 and it hauls!!
there really isn't a lot required to do the swap ,obviously the engine ,a trx backplate and a dremel , from memory the clutch nut was a little tricky I ended up using a ground down losi one with a trx flywheel ,just gotta cut the crank down and use a 3mm screw to hold the clutch assembly on instead of the e clip.
the backplate is easy, just grind the inside part of it to clear the bottom of the piston .you will need a small amount of metal epoxy to fill the hole that is made from grinding that part of the backplate ,let it dry for at least 24 hours then put a smear of copper rtv on and put the backplate on.
if you go down this path you will need to either locate a spring mounted header or better to get a ths exhaust and rock on.
of course its heaps easier to locate and install a 3.3 ,that's why mine has one as all the chop shops dried up about 6 months ago.what engine does it have atm??

you can mod a 3.4 engine to fit in a jato and run a trx backplate ,I put that engine in a revo 3.3 and it hauls!!
there really isn't a lot required to do the swap ,obviously the engine ,a trx backplate and a dremel , from memory the clutch nut was a little tricky I ended up using a ground down losi one with a trx flywheel ,just gotta cut the crank down and use a 3mm screw to hold the clutch assembly on instead of the e clip.
the backplate is easy, just grind the inside part of it to clear the bottom of the piston .you will need a small amount of metal epoxy to fill the hole that is made from grinding that part of the backplate ,let it dry for at least 24 hours then put a smear of copper rtv on and put the backplate on.
if you go down this path you will need to either locate a spring mounted header or better to get a ths exhaust and rock on.
of course its heaps easier to locate and install a 3.3 ,that's why mine has one as all the chop shops dried up about 6 months ago.what engine does it have atm??
I bought it as a roller. No engine at all but it does have motor mounts that are for trx. It does not look like anything has been modified...

Why did you use the 3.4 losi carb instead of the stock traxxas carb? (the reason I ask is because I have no experience using anything other than the stock carb.)

I cannot speak for chickenman, but I hear that they are so much easier to tune and better performance. Do a google search- Losi 3.4 carb on a 3.3 traxxas" that's how I found out about it. I have one on the way!

OS 11k is another one, all alum but be prepared to shell out 90 bucks or so. Not to say it's not worth it, cause I hear its worth every dime!

Last edited:
i have read on a few different forums that the 3.4 carb is the shiz so I thought I would try it and it does make a decent improvement over the stock carb in the fact it holds a tune better and idles much more consistently ,you notice too much at the bottom end but at wot you can hear that it just wants to launch into orbit.
@tvjv2009 since you haven't got an engine to start you may wan to go with a 3.4 not only for something different but by time you buy a 3.3 a 3.4 carb and the rest it would actually be cheaper to get a 3.4. just make sure you have the 2 metal spacers that go on top of the engine mount between the mount and the engine

i have read on a few different forums that the 3.4 carb is the shiz so I thought I would try it and it does make a decent improvement over the stock carb in the fact it holds a tune better and idles much more consistently ,you notice too much at the bottom end but at wot you can hear that it just wants to launch into orbit.
@tvjv2009 since you haven't got an engine to start you may wan to go with a 3.4 not only for something different but by time you buy a 3.3 a 3.4 carb and the rest it would actually be cheaper to get a 3.4. just make sure you have the 2 metal spacers that go on top of the engine mount between the mount and the engine
I was going to ask you what all I would need. I will have to when we get closer to that point. I was seriously considering using a starter box and not having to modify the back plate.

I got the entire truck tore apart and I ordered my first round of parts!! There was so much grease and gunk on this thing. it needs a lot of clean up for sure. Should have some pics posted soon.

I had a few minutes to spare before hitting the road so here are some pics! I know it's just a filthy Jato....View attachment 14693 View attachment 14693 View attachment 14694 View attachment 14693 View attachment 14694 View attachment 14693 View attachment 14694
100_3785.JPG
100_3786.JPG
100_3794.JPG
100_3797.JPG

Last edited:
Back