Its offical, i blew the engine...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well as some of you have read, I have a how-to build your own cold air kit. This was created after the fact that I was running my Maxx and the Motor Saver fell off (even with two zip ties). Needless to say I didnt realize this till AFTER it ran out of gas and I was refilling it.

Time the truck was running w/o a filter, I would guess anywhere from a few min's to 5 or 6mins :ermm: So I was giving the idea to make the kit. I did so, and now I can't pull that darn tubing off if i wanted to its such a tight fit.

Well getting back to the story. I havent ran the Maxx since I built the kit. I had ran outta nitro and blew one of my shocks. So I just got done rebuilding the shock, and got more gas today. Started the truck and the idle speed was really screwed up. Ohh and power, well it never sees second gear, and it much of a mover.

I played with the needles but its not looking so hot. I have yet to pull the engine out and tear it apart to see exactly what the carb got to suck in while running w/o a filter, but I'm sure its not pretty.

So I guess its off to traxxas to get a new engine and go from there.

The moral of the story is, Install the cold air kit so your filter wont fall off!!! :D

-WoodiE

Sorry to hear that your motor has passed on to the great autoshop in the sky. I have yet to have my airfilter come off...I think I crazy glued it on there or something.

I am looking at the cold air set up simply from an engineering stand point...cooler air means greater expansion in the chamber, greater expansion means more pressure, thus more compression, making for a hotter burn and more complete fuel consumption...the added bonus of a more secure air filter falls somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as good things about the cold air set up goes.

What's a cold air kit? With all the mud that gets caked on my head and then baked on it might be a good idea to keep mine cold.

That's a cool mod. I'll have to try one. One quick question, what's all that brown stuff in your carb, is that part of the mod too?

Originally posted by El Pirata
That's a cool mod. I'll have to try one. One quick question, what's all that brown stuff in your carb, is that part of the mod too?

its makes it go faster, haha

-WoodiE

Hey woodie hows about you add a little picture with the dimensions of yout mounting bracket with size holes and so forth say a little Woddie Blue Print. Just a suggestion X
:banana: :banana:

El Pirata - "That's a cool mod. I'll have to try one. One quick question, what's all that brown stuff in your carb, is that part of the mod too?"

That's actually MY carb...it's a secret performance enhancing ingredient only found along the Colorado Rocky Mountain Front Range, similar in consistency and appearance to simple clay dirt dust. For a nominal fee, I'd be happy to send you a few ounces for testing and review purposes.

You simply pour a little bit down the carb and you'd be amazed at what happens! Your engine dies a rather sudden and painful death!

He has his own special mixture of the Virginia clay variety...not so performance enhancing as your high altitude dust, but the end result is about the same.

Back