it's 8:00pm and you break a push rod... Now what...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxxheadroom

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Simple, you improvise a fix, 8:00pm and the hobby shops around here are closed, I ended up into a curb last night bent a tie rod, broke another and broke a push rod. So it was time to get creative the tie rod wasn't too big of a deal heat it up and straighten it reinstall. The broken push rod and tie rod were another story. The both snapped right where the threads start, an obvious weak point. I ended up taking a small piece of 5/16" steel tubing I flared one end of the tube (I will explain that in a minute) I slid the non flared end of the tie rod and put a small weld to hold it in place. Then I heated up the flared end and melted the tie rod end link into the steel tube which fused the plastic into the steel. Then reinstalled the broken tie rod. The push rod was basically the same however I got a bit ahead of myself and put the plastic end link in the tube before I welded the tube to the link, oops. No big deal though the tube would actually be just fine sitting on the rod as the suspension cannot drop down far enough to slide out of the tube but just for good measure I welded a couple small screws to the push rod then ran zip ties around the screws and through the rocker for the shock just to make sure it could not slip out.

My point in all this is a HUGE part of this hobby is engineering, being creative and figuring out what works. I have seen so many people get frustrated and dump the hobby because things would break or the engine wouldn't run right ect ect. Don't limit yourself in this hobby, think outside the box you would be amazed what you can come up with.

wow.... ghetto. lol. but whatever works.

Just a word of advice for ya. The rocker posts could be bent, it's hard to spot with the rocker on, but they will bend.;)

I actually checked for anything else that might be bent or broken everything looked great, but thank you for the heads up.

Back