Is this normal!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M@xximillion

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
The other day I had her tuned great. Today, as soon as I started her up she was so rich that she was loading up with fuel and stalling. I leaned the HSN. Still so rich that raw fuel was coming out of the exhaust, but now I was wheelieing out of control.
How can that be? I thought rich means loss of power. Temps were
good, with the top on never got above 270. Maybe the weather? 20% humidity 50 degrees. Also, I was climbing up this HUGE hill and she had so much power that at about 15mph I gunned it for some extra power and she started doing somersaults.:thumbsup: Very easy to pull the front end up, almost too easy. Being new to this it is hard to get used to, but I think I'll manage:devious:

Oh, one more thing, after I got done I noticed the clutch rubbing, what I mean is that the clutchbell can\'t spin freely. This happened a couple days ago so I took the bell off, everything looked fine except that I noticed that the clutch shoes weren\'t matching up exactly round. They did when I adjusted them by hand. After running today, it did it again. :doh: So, whats up?

I think you might just be closing in on your 'sweet spot'. What temps are you getting?

I would lean your LSN about 1/8th (watch you idle)

Check temps.....

And the clutch bell should be hitting anything. What size CB and what kind of spur are you running?

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
I think you might just be closing in on your 'sweet spot'. What temps are you getting?

I would lean your LSN about 1/8th (watch you idle)

Check temps.....

And the clutch bell should be hitting anything. What size CB and what kind of spur are you running?

All stock, as far as temps no higher than 270. The clutch pads are hitting the clutchbell. If this is not normal I think this is why I'm having problems with idleing.

Something isn't right, the clutch should not hit or rub the clutchbell . I would take the clutch off and inspect it. The spring may be broke or the clutch bell housing may be bent.

I will take it apart and post some pics, stay tuned, please.

As far as the power It’s called breaking in your engine.
I never tune an engine in for power until at least the 10th tank.
It sure is nice to find the sweet spot.

My 2.5 seems to run the best @ around 270 also. I de-tuned the HSN about 1\16th to keep the maxx heat around 240-250. It still has plenty of power bit I would rather be safe and know the engine will last a bit longer.

As far as the bell goes, are you saying that when you remove the engine from your truck the bell doesn’t spin freely? Or, when it is installed and resting against the spur gear?

Ok, this is exactly how the pads sit.
And if you notice the bell has an unusual wear pattern in center.
The bell is not warped at all.

Attachments

• clutch bell.jpg
    clutch bell.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 118
the pads

Attachments

• clutch pads.jpg
    clutch pads.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 108
The clutch shoes dont look right .. look like they have been wearing a quite a bit mine on my 15 dont look like that ...

pull off the clutch shoes and spring and check the pins and flywheel is only thing i can think and check the spring .. and the center wear looks about where the clutch spring rides ..Rob

Last edited:
Originally posted by FastEddy
As far as the power It’s called breaking in your engine.
I never tune an engine in for power until at least the 10th tank.
It sure is nice to find the sweet spot.

My 2.5 seems to run the best @ around 270 also. I de-tuned the HSN about 1\16th to keep the maxx heat around 240-250. It still has plenty of power bit I would rather be safe and know the engine will last a bit longer.

As far as the bell goes, are you saying that when you remove the engine from your truck the bell doesn’t spin freely? Or, when it is installed and resting against the spur gear?

Off the truck, the pads are rubbing the bell.

Looking closer at the pads I notice that the spring popps out more where it goes around the pins, actualy past the pads!

Back