Is there any benefit to runing MIP CVD's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan81

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
On a basher? Found a good deal on a pair, I might jump on it if it's worth my time. :)

Thanks in advance.

They are really tough... and look cool. But on a basher... eh, not really needed. However, they are super sweet and put them on MY bashers.

If the "deal" is good, it won't hurt. If you decide to pass on them, look at the HD rear shafts from the Slash 4x4. Much stronger than the stock Rustler ones and they're drop in replacement for under $20. I finally had one break after a year of abuse, including a day of trying to break them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I had read somewhere that aftermarket driveshafts for the Slash won't work. The after market ones have to be an exact fit, while the stock ones have the telescoping shafts to make up any difference.

I just put CVD's on my basher and I'm not sure If i can tell any difference. I do like how they look though.

+1 for looks. On some trucks it's just better to keep the stockers on a 2.5 t maxx or nitro rustler cvds are worth it for the toughness factor.

They are really tough... and look cool.

Ehhhhh...

Probably a durability upgrade from the plastic axles on a Traxxas, but I found them to be nowhere near as tough as good ol' dogbones on overpowered Associated stuff. My OFNA .32-powered RC10GT broke two CVDs in about 8 minutes, including the time it took to replace the first busted one. I still snap dogbones from time to time, but it takes a lot longer than that. The cross pins in an AE dogbone are about twice the size of those in the MIP CVD for the same application.

Also snapped the front CVDs on my Prolite (2150KV 700 series can on 3S), but nary a problem with the rear dogbones.

In other words, when compared to steel dogbones, CVDs are decidedly smoother, but definitely not stronger.

I personally like to run them but I don't see it being necessary in all RC's as a few have said. My emaxx needed them, I couldn't keep the plastic ones from ripping at the u-joint and the Traxxas CVD's or equivalent would pop out or bend. The MIP telescoping CVD have yet to break, although if you don't red loctite the grub screws they will eventually work themselves out and it tears poop up.

Another plus to the telescoping Center CVD is if you need a custom length you can mix and match to come up with what you need like I did on my Revo conversion.

Bad thing is MIP raised the prices on them to what I consider to be overpriced, Ebay always hold the best price when looking for a set.