IR advice, should I retire these? Dynamite Reaction 2S lipos for Losi Mini cars

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Well. Idk if I'm going crazy or if my charger is acting whacky. Both are at storage voltage (3.8 per cell) I'll do another test. I haven't ran these batteries in more than 4 months. I had both on storage charge for that time. Any advice? No signs of swell or puffing. @Greywolf74 and others, any advice?

PXL_20230122_222915292.jpg

PXL_20230122_222718281.MP.jpg

PXL_20230122_222808715.jpg

Last edited:
That second one for sure that is just insane. But for shits and giggles plug the batteries balance lead directly into the charger and eliminate the balance board.

That second one for sure that is just insane. But for shits and giggles plug the batteries balance lead directly into the charger and eliminate the balance board.
PXL_20230122_224746327.MP.jpg
PXL_20230122_224830824.MP.jpg

Here is directly into the charger.
600mah battery: 48.3 for both cells. Poor picture quality.

Should.i use the discharge on the charger or do what my uncle said? He said put the lipos in a bucket of salt water. I guess that the salt with discharge the lipo to 0?.

Should.i use the discharge on the charger or do what my uncle said? He said put the lipos in a bucket of salt water. I guess that the salt with discharge the lipo to 0?.
All salt water does is corrode the battery terminals. Connect it to a 12v automotive lightbulb, put it outside and away from anything flammable.

a bulb with your connector of choice .if you solder both elements together its a 10 amp discharge

single cell plug.jpg

Posted in one of my mini b FB groups. One guy has seen more (82 mΩ per cell) another guy said that these batteries IRs are always sit high.

Those are probably fine. Small lipos have higher IRs naturally than the bigger 5000mAh+ lipos we use. I just tested a brand new Reaction 650mAh after its first charge and it has roughly 27mOhm IRs. At storage charge the lightly used ones I have are around 45mOhm and the one I have the most use on which still works perfectly fine has approx 51mOhm IRs. I can charge them tomorrow and check them if youd like me too but I dont have time tonight. After being charged they will be lower but I'm honestly not sure how much lower as I dont generally use packs this small very often.

Last edited:
Those are probably fine. Small lipos have higher IRs naturally than the bigger 5000mAh+ lipos we use. I just tested a brand new Reaction 650mAh after its first charge and it has roughly 27mOhm IRs. At storage charge the lightly used ones I have are around 45mOhm at the one I have the most use on which still works perfectly fine has approx 51mOhm IRs. I can charge them tomorrow and check them if youd like me too but I dont have time tonight. After being charged they will be lower but I'm honestly not sure how much lower as I dont generally use packs this small very often.
I remember reading that the smaller lipos have a higher IR but I never thought they would be that high.

One guy commented on my FB post and shared his readings. I think it was a 3s (don't know what mah) but in one cell he had 180 mΩ. And in another he had almost 200 mΩ
This is what the guy had.
FB_IMG_1674440870857.jpg

Charging batteries and so far they are fine. They are not getting hot. Usually charge these batteries at 2 amps. I know I should do 0.7 or 0.8 but the batteries are fine.
PXL_20230123_023718965.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. Looks like I'm fine. I was just concerned because the bigger packs for my 1/10 bashers are usually any where between 1.0 to 20 mΩ. Didn't know that smaller packs tends to have an higher IR.

One guy commented on my FB post and shared his readings. I think it was a 3s (don't know what mah) but in one cell he had 180 mΩ. And in another he had almost 200 mΩ
This is what the guy had. View attachment 158929
The thing that concerns me on this guys pack is the IR gap between the cells. Thats much more of a concern than just having high IRs.

For bashing I would not be concerned about it, just run them until they start puffing or don't hold charge

Back