Interesting flight this morning...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edfrombama

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Good afternoon to all-
So. I took one of my microwarbird rc planes down to the flying field even though the wind was howling- we have a storm front coming through later today, you see. I wanted to fly before the rain came.
I hand launched the old ugly Corsair, and I'm glad I brought this plane. For whatever reason, this little plane has a stronger motor and better controls than most of my other little microwarbirds. It was interesting, as I said. When I would put the plane's nose into the wind, it would make progress, but slowly. But let me tell you when I turned the plane so that it went with the wind, this little rc plane just ripped along, and made a truly strange whistling sound, and it moved FAST.
I figured as long as I had nearly full-power from the battery, I would be OK, but as the power dropped, the plane might not be able to work against the wind and it might just blow away. So after a couple of circuits around the field and a single loop- and that was interesting, too, let me tell you, I brought the plane in for a grass landing.
And this was interesting, too. the little plane came toward me against the wind, and a gust came, and I dropped power just a bit, and the plane settled down like a copter. Dropped straight down and made perhaps the softest landing I've ever made with an rc plane.
So I gathered up the plane and the controller and made my way home where I had a very good turkey sandwich for lunch.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

smooth flight for such a windy day:)

I had a tiny whoop drone that would be carried off by the slightest breeze. Makes for some fun times trying to keep it close to you when you turn with the wind.

Yep. Know when to quit. One of the top five rules for RC surface speed runners too. Glad you had a good session. Thanks for the walk through. Graphic enough to visualize it.
Cheers. 'AC'

Used to love flying my cub on windy days, you could fly it just like a kite. you could get it to stay in one spot and even go backwards sometimes.

That was divine intervention. Their way of saying better put it away. I've had it happen to me.

Yep. Know when to quit. One of the top five rules for RC surface speed runners too. Glad you had a good session. Thanks for the walk through. Graphic enough to visualize it.
Cheers. 'AC'
Was thinking the same thing, @ahr43 . Felt like I was there (even the turkey sandwich!)

I had an Eagle 2 that I loved to fly on windy days. I really could fly backwards, slowly, relative to the ground !
Tried many times to land it with 0 ground speed, but learned that the closer you get to the ground the lower the windspeed and stalled it every time. One time I got down to probably 6 feet before it stalled and fell.

That plane probably had 8 ounces of epoxy in it for all the repairs :) On a slightly related note, I got both legs broken as a passenger in a tiny plane when the pilot stalled it about 50 feet above the ground.

I worked with a retired 747 pilot that flew Corsairs from carriers to Korea and Viet Nam. He had fascinating stories. Like when they all were fully armed/loaded and the pilot in front of him got a cold shot, fell in the ocean, got ran over by the carrier, and they did not pause for one second getting Don hooked to the catapult.

I always thought the Corsair and the Junkers JU 87 divebombers were the best looking aircraft of anything that has ever flown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87
image https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-646-5184-26,_Russland,_Flugzeug_Junkers_Ju_87_edit_1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F4U_Corsair
image https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/F4U-Corsair.JPG