Info on HPI NitroStar F3.5 (Non-Pro)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tadpole1991

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was just curious if anyone knows the good/bads about HPI engines,or am i better off with an OFNA force or Hyper or something else reasonably priced for my truggy?

Six of one, a half-dozen of the other. The Nitrostars are good little mills, as are the OFNA motors. They are about a 6-7 on a performance scale of 1-10, in my experience. I have not played with the 3.5, but am very happy with the 3.0 in my RC10GTs. They will not compete with a Picco, Novarossi, OS or other high performance engine, but they also don't cost near as much.

Having said that, truggies are heavy. I'd go with a .28, and the best deal going right now is the OFNA JL .28 at $117 shipped on eBay.

How do you think a Werks B2 or B5 .21 would do in a truggy?

So many engine choices haha,all I've ever had was a traxxas 2.5 and 3.3,ill probably just end up getting a .26 or .28,Thinking between the JL Max .28, Dynamite Mach 2 .26 or maybe something else,if anyone has anymore suggestions,i'm all ears for input,as long as its $250 and under.

Dynamite Mach 2 .26

Eh, I would skip that one. Maybe if it were $75 or less brand new. I don't think very highly of Dynamite nitro engines based on personal experience.

With a budget of $250, you can pretty much pick what you want short of the top, top of the line race engines. You'll come up a bit short on the hottest Novarossi engines, the OS .28XZ, the Picco Boost 5TR and a few others, but there are a lot of good engines in the $180-$250 range.

If you're not going to race, then you don't have to worry about displacement, and I'd highly recommend the LRP ZR.32. It's a very potent mill, I run one in my OFNA Ultra LX Comp. Honestly, I think it makes more low end torque than my Novarossi .28-7RT (though it doesn't rap as high). Good looking engine, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LRP-RC-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af8381230

Soo.. I've dialed it down to two engines, NovaRossi P5 or Werks b5 hmm..Just cause i found good deals on both of them.

Do you know if they make a pullstarter or anything for it,or should i just use a bump starter?

So if have to use a bump start aka starter box for the .21, I'm just trying to see what the total cost of my build is gonna be I'm the end

Back