In search of profection

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so this isnt perfect but its probably the closest I've come so far. The entire time I've been in this hobby I've been looking for a set of helping hands that are actually good, high quality, well designed tools but they just dont seem to make them that way. Well I just discovered the RC Pro Plus Soldering Stand and this comes the cloest to perfection yet. This particular one is the V3 but they have a V4 out. Honestly though when I was trying to research them I couldnt tell any difference on line so I reached out to the company and asked them. They told me the only difference was "fit and finish". Well that wasn't the only difference. The V3 I found for $65 comapred to the $80 of the V4. If I hadnt stumbled across the V3 for$15 cheaper and being basically the same Id have paid for the V4. This thing is solid. It weight 413g or just over 9/10ths of a pound. Its adjustable up and down, side to side, and also has adjustable spring tension on the holding jaws. My only complaint with it is it needs some extra weight on the back leg. Its not real easy to tumble it over forward but it is definitely front heavy. I havent used it much yet but so far I'm loving this thing! Just need to figure out how to add weight to the rear leg somehow.

20211006_181552.jpg
20211006_181638.jpg
20211006_181905.jpg
20211006_182646.jpg
20211006_182643.jpg
20211006_182613.jpg
20211006_182726.jpg

That looks pretty damn nice Wolf.

Thats a nice looking soldering stand/wire holders. You could just use lead weights. Like tire weights or fishing weights. Or led ingoits
Or you could turn the legs 60° and get a more balanced stand. Having the one leg in the back vs having one leg out the front makes the cog towards the front. Add the clamps and wires to the front, and it will want to tip. So rotate the stand.

I had thought of the stick on weights but The legs are pretty skinny to stick them to. Id have to figure out some way to shape them around the leg somehow. Maybe I could just hammer them around the leg since they are lead?

Or you could turn the legs 60° and get a more balanced stand. Having the one leg in the back vs having one leg out the front makes the cog towards the front. Add the clamps and wires to the front, and it will want to tip. So rotate the stand.
I appreciate the suggestion but the one leg is already in the back.

The legs are pretty skinny to stick them to
What type of metal are the legs? Could always use selftapping screws. And use one to drill threw the lead. Then another to tap into the leg. Throw a washer on screw and there you go or just zip tie to the leg....

I appreciate the suggestion but the one leg is already in the back.
That's why it is front heavy. Your arms and wires are in front of the fulcrum. Move the single leg to the front. Or better yet, ask them why the hell they used 3 legs instead of 4 😝

why the hell they used 3 legs instead of 4 😝
And that's the million $$ question. 🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍
Look at the difference between the center shafts. On the 3.3 conversion and the 2.5 shafts.. way thicker and the 3.3 has a spline shaft the 2.5 has a split shaft
Sorry wrong thread that last part sorry.... my bad

If you take that top clevice that clamps to the upright shaft and just rotate it one flat, it won't tip forward as easily.

That's pretty cool looking. I'm used to the telescoping arm type lol.

If you take that top clevice that clamps to the upright shaft and just rotate it one flat, it won't tip forward as easily.
you're absolutely right! you're sharp as a tack! Thanks Kev! you're also right that it should have four legs. Even though it is sturdier this way its not as sturdy as it would have been with 4 legs. The side that has 2 clamps on it still isnt as study as it could be but it is sturdier than before :)

p.s. I misunderstood what you said at first. I thought you were saying to turn it so it was one leg out the back and I was like "it already is?" lol

If you make a piece that attaches to that front leg to give it 4 legs it would be a lot better. Even if it is just a couple inches long. Because I can see it wanting to tip sideways now that you have it rotated.

You could use a very small pair of vice grips. To any leg you want to add stability too..just a thought.
16337222322651368609436041385105.jpg

Sry kinda post 💣 ing here....

No my hands arent pretty. But very durable. Lots of weight on both legs. 10 movable/posable digits. Change tunes and hold a cold beer while helping you solder your life away!

Rentals are available. Buyouts are cheap. Runs on herbs and RCs.

Put away in any corner or out buildin. No cash needed. Free trial. You do have to pay shipping. But 1:1 is good on gas. Just saying...

Shoulda put this in the personals......i mean classifieds. 🤣🤣🤣😂😂🤔🤔

Back