in need of a nitro tuning guru

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkytechnician

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hay guys, I had my "truck" out the other day and was running it through its paces, but I'm gonna need some help with tuning, as of now i haven't moved the needles yet, but hears the symptoms, it is currently set at factory settings, but due to the custom muffler on it, the tuning is gonna be way off factory, the truck starts good, (maybe a little long turning over) runs, I can pull away, and let it gradually increase throttle, and it runs ok, but any big throttle inputs to womp on it, it bogs and dies, I have to really feather the throttle, it doesn't idle the greatest either, I have to give it peridioc shots of gas to keep it from stalling, not like all the time, but after like 5 seconds or so, anyhow, any tips on which needle/ which direction/ which incriment to use to start to bring it into tune? Oh ya, and the motor is a TRX 3.3 and has very little use so I don't suspect any engine wear
thanks guys;)

You are definitely running on the rich side. Let the engine get up to temp, then slowly start to lean the LSN by turning it in. (Like closing off an outside water faucet) Just go in about 1/16 turn at a time and run it a little to blow the 'snot' out of the pipe, and if it's still stubborn, do it again.
Keep a close eye on your temps since they will go up as you lean the LSN. You will more than likely have to back out the idle adjustment as you lean the LSN.
Once you have a good idle and a good take off, start to increase your throttle and do the same for the HSN till you have a good WOT. You might need to re-tweak your LSN at that point. When everything is good, you should only have to tweak your HSN from time to time to compensate for ambient temp and humidity.

I agree, it's definitely running rich. Follow Rolexs advice and you should be able to get it dialed in.

Only adjust one needle at a time, that way if it gets worse rather than better, you can make the adjustment back to where it was. If you mess with both needles at the same time you won't know what caused what.

Like Rolex mentioned, make the adjustments in tiny increments, no more than 1/16th of a turn at a time.

ROLEX that description on tuning. Man you hit the mark dead on.

OK cool, so i have to lean the LSN, i had it running again in the house last night :)whhooo:)on a stand, and it was having a lot of truble ideling without shots of gas, and it would usually stall after the shot of gas, so I will start leaning the LSN. I haven't been able to go outside with it due to snow/rain and generaly crappy weather, even that first time I had it out it was pouring rain, and pitch black!:hehe: anyhow, I'm cycling the batteries because i was away for a month and it sat, I want everything to be at full capacity when I test things out, then I'll go back out and continue tuning it to run well

Last edited:
buy rechargeables they are better but dont usually last as long as regular batteries

they are rechargeable, theres a number of packs in parallel with each other, making up the power supply, it was just a matter of discharging all of them and then giving them a fresh charge, bringing them all up to maximum capacity

mine dont last long but hey take em out recharge em put them back in

ya along with leaning the lsn also lean the hsn abit. if your running in the cold put a sock over the head to keep the temps up.