in basic terms is a sandmaster 2 any good

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laton7

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and in fact new to the entire sport! I have just bought a sandmaster 2 with a gx-12 (is this the only engine that fits the car? i.e i want a more powerfull yet still fairly basic engin). What I am basically wondering if this car and engine is good for a total beginner like me. I will be bashing (on road mostly but also on some very rough off road terrain) and modding with any luck. Many thanks to every one who can give me any tips, hints, and general :D

Kyoshos are pretty good. That looks like an older model though. You can probably upgrade the engine up to a .19 or .20 (TRX 3.3 or Losi 3.4), but the drivetrain may not handle it.

The more I dig, the more I think you shouldn't really run it much. You'll have a hard time finding parts. What I would do (this is my personal thought) is restore it. Clean it up, make it look new, and maybe just run it for show. If it's kept up, you'll have a good vintage to show off.

---------- Post added at 4:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:02 PM ----------

Can you show us some pic of it?

---------- Post added at 4:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:07 PM ----------

Here's a manual for it that you can download
http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehicle-manuals/kyosho-sandmaster-st-2-manual.pdf

I hope these help. if you want any more just let me know. if i want just a car that a can thrash around my back yard then possibly just clean this up, sell it, buy something newer and a bit more worthy for a thrashing?
the exhaust and air filter are off to give more of a view of the set up plus the exhaust is the wrong one for the sandmaster set up and I have bought a new one which should be here in a couple of days.
So far I have put on some new rear shocks as old ones seemed to be very soft even when I put new springs in, I have ordered 80mm shocks (with 50w silicone oil to heavy?) then I will switch the pink shocks to the front and put the larger ones on the rear for the more harsh off roading. The new rear wheels have new road tyres as I thought I would shred the standard off road ones in a flash

Last edited:
Wow, that's still in great shape. You'll have a tough time finding parts, so I wouldn't recommend backyard bashing with it. Like I said before, I'd search out the parts you need to make it original, and shelf it. If you want to sell it, go ahead. I don't know how much you bought it for, and I hope you didn't overpay. Vintage RCs aren't really worth alot, unless they are all original and you find the right buyer. You may not get much out of it.

I haven`t included pictures of the body as it isn't looking good, a few big cracks, lots of scrapes and bumps and paint has worn off where what looks like the engine has melted it. I was planning on getting a whole new body shell for it and just throwing the current in the bin or keeping it for emergency's. i paid £47 for it with a brand new GX-12 in the sale which i still have to receive, all it needed to run was clutch and fuel. was this over priced? I then bought a new engine for spares which is the one in the pictures. I`v just had it up and running and seems fairly gutsy for such a small engine! if i do sell do you have any recommendations for what would be a good replacement for my needs?

Not really sure what the conversion is to USD, but it doesn't seem to be a bad price.

---------- Post added at 6:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:09 PM ----------

Looks like about $75 USD, so as long as you get the new engine, it should be an ok price.

Ok thank you for all you help :D no doubt I will be back on here very soon with lots more questions!