I think my car is broken

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaden castle

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I started my tamiya TNX 5.2r os a wooden stand that I start it on. I started it up and let it tik over, I put the controller on the floor and the engine started revving by itself but the wheel werent moving. The engine started revving fully but the wheel still went moving. The engine cut off and now the wheel dont move backwards only forwards. And the engine wont turn over can you help me becuase it is my brothers car that he never uses and I dont want him to kill me and I dont want him for me to pay him £500

Hello. do you have a manual that shows you parts locations?. theres a few thing you need to do.. are fuel line good no leaks?. now pull the motor and inspect clutch bell (springs and shoes) no main gear case.pull that see if you can spin it by hand...now see if car will roll? if it does not see what tires are stopping it from doing so.. you will need to check wheel bearing and axel diffs(gears that turn when axels are attached... how old is model or when was it last used?. carb might need a rebuild kit...Thats the O rings in needle valves..it might sound tedious but will have to be done.good luck

Hello. do you have a manual that shows you parts locations?. theres a few thing you need to do.. are fuel line good no leaks?. now pull the motor and inspect clutch bell (springs and shoes) no main gear case.pull that see if you can spin it by hand...now see if car will roll? if it does not see what tires are stopping it from doing so.. you will need to check wheel bearing and axel diffs(gears that turn when axels are attached... how old is model or when was it last used?. carb might need a rebuild kit...Thats the O rings in needle valves..it might sound tedious but will have to be done.good luck
The car was used yesterday and I went to turn it over with an Allen key to check if the engine has seized up and the engine wasn't moving it was solid. Thank for the advice but the engine is screwed. My uncle is going to have a loon at it. Thanks.

You ran the motor full throttle too long with a broken clutch spring too long. breaking the connecting rod inside the motor. The piston sized. This could have been safe guarded using fuel with 18% oil lube.

You ran the motor full throttle too long with a broken clutch spring too long. breaking the connecting rod inside the motor. The piston sized. This could have been safe guarded using fuel with 18% oil lube.
My uncle had a look and it is seized, a new engine if £150 even for a used it £125. Thanks for the diagnosis

You can unseize a engine and make it work as long as the rod is good. Use after run oil and heat the engine up to free it.

Do I heat up the crank bearing and the piston. Also do I need to use oil to free it or just heat?

I throw the hole block in except for the carb. After run oil will make the job easier.

Where do you get after run oil and how do you use it properly

At any hobby shop. Just put a few drops in at a time; try to move it to free up the parts.

Yes if that is stuck too. Sometimes I have to remove the idle screw so I can turn the barrel easier.

not the carb until it move remove glow plug put a few drop thru glow plug hole...

Yes in the carb if it is stuck and won't open. And yes down the carb on the engine once you can open it.

I don't think after run oil is helpful in this case. If the con rod is broken and the piston is pushed higher than it should, put a flat head screw driver through the spark plug hole and slightly tap on the piston. One way or another, you will end up taking the engine apart and cleanup.. sell the engine for parts and get a new one.

I don't think after run oil is helpful in this case. If the con rod is broken and the piston is pushed higher than it should, put a flat head screw driver through the spark plug hole and slightly tap on the piston. One way or another, you will end up taking the engine apart and cleanup.. sell the engine for parts and get a new one.
Using a screw driver to tap the piston down is the worst thin you can do. You can put a hole in the piston and make it useless. Disassemble is the safest and best way with some heat. You can then see if the engine is worth fixing if the rod is broke?????

Using a screw driver to tap the piston down is the worst thin you can do. You can put a hole in the piston and make it useless. Disassemble is the safest and best way with some heat. You can then see if the engine is worth fixing if the rod is broke?????
The key is slightly, not so hard. I would think the damage is already bad as broken pieces are probably have jammed the inside. I agree, taking it apart is better to see the damage.

remove the head . shot it with a good oil not wd40.. now go find a old broom handle and cut about 8" off the end . sand a flat surface on it round over the edges now use a small hammer like a tack hammer try to get piston free.

Heat is so much easier. Removing the back plate will tell you how much damage is really done. I have fixed many seize engines and don't use anything to pound the piston down. The piston top is so thin you can damage it real easy A seized engine is cause from not enough oil lube or a broken connection rod.