I need help with my nitro HPI rs4 mt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is that for the sixe of the rip cord? because I still have it. I just need a spring.

So when you took the starter off ,there was no spring inside or the spring was just broke?
Usually if the spring breaks ,that is a sign of pulling it too far out ,an it breaks at the hook end of the spring!

If the hook part breaks ,that can be fixed by bending another hook in the spring ,but you can't just bend it cold ,
the end that needs to be bent has to be heated so it doesn't snap when you make the bend ,I had fixed a lot of springs
on multiple starters!
If there is no spring ,you can always buy a pull starter off of a different brand ,if that brand unit does not fit ,you can
pull the spring out an use it in your starter housing ,as I am not sure if they sell a spring by them self!...:cool:

there is no spring I got the car and a bunch of other stuff and the starter had no spring. I have been trying to start it with a drill and it isn't firing do you know a reason it won't fire?

there is no spring I got the car and a bunch of other stuff and the starter had no spring. I have been trying to start it with a drill and it isn't firing do you know a reason it won't fire?

Providing that your glow plug is good an the igniter is charged an working an the carb barrel is opened at the correct spot ,
it should fire with a little fuel dropped into the carb.!
As far as the fuel coming from the tank an actually getting in the carb throat is a different story!

I have an engine that I have to start & run with a one way bearing in the socket ,it fires up an runs great that way ,so I
never even tried to get a pull start for it.
You did make sure that the one way bearing is going the right direction an not turned around in the socket?

yes thank you! I forgot to put some fuel in the carb/engine I just primed it but I will try putting a little bit in the carb this time. thx again!

yes thank you! I forgot to put some fuel in the carb/engine I just primed it but I will try putting a little bit in the carb this time. thx again!

If by priming an the fuel is being drawn into the fuel line ,look into the carb an see if you see the fuel in the carb ,if
so ,then your good ,if not then your carb is dirty & plugged ,need to clean!
If the fuel doesn't stay at a consistent flow in the line ,then it could be an air leak in the tank lid seal or fuel line ,the line
that goes from the muffler to the tank is also very important ,that is the pressure feed line that pressurizes the tank to
help fuel flow ,so make sure that it is good an not restricted!... :cool:

I think it has suction because the fuel line pops off sometimes when I prime it. it is an hpi so it has a primer but I don't know if I primed it enough though.

I think it has suction because the fuel line pops off sometimes when I prime it. it is an hpi so it has a primer but I don't know if I primed it enough though.

If the line pops off of the nipple at the carb ,then maybe the carb is plugged from sitting ,I dont know!

If you try to clean the carb an remove the needles ,make sure that you count the turns on the needles ,
close the needles in an count the turns until the needle bottoms out ,dont over tighten when you do ,
then write the turns down on paper if you decide to clean!... :cool:

it was popping off the nipple of the gas tank and the carb is clean because I cleaned it with carb spray.

I wouldn't use 1:1 carb spray on much stuff that's RC. It has a tendency to eat plastics. Not sure what it does to silicone o-rings. I know it will destroy lexan bodies... tried using that stuff to clean off overspray once. Turned my brand newly painted body into Swiss cheese!

It is not for the rip cord, for the entire pull start, if you have never rewound one before, it is not worth it to try to get just the spring and I don't think they sell the spring itself, even if they do, it will be as much as the entire pull start. Once you have the dimensions, you can order online or just take the pull start to local hobby store to get a replacement. If you order from China, it may take a few weeks to get it.

I wouldn't use 1:1 carb spray on much stuff that's RC. It has a tendency to eat plastics. Not sure what it does to silicone o-rings. I know it will destroy lexan bodies... tried using that stuff to clean off overspray once. Turned my brand newly painted body into Swiss cheese!
idk what type of carb spray it is but it was used for cars so we thought it would be good for the carburetor but I can check if the O-ring is ok

I gave up on fixing for a while and just about to get a new one then I saw how expensive they are so just as a final try is there a way to see if the glow plug is hot enough without a heat gun? because that's probably why it won't fire also do you think the starter spray that you use for pressure washers and things like that would work to just make it fire at least once?

Last edited:
I gave up on fixing for a while and just about to get a new one then I saw how expensive they are so just as a final try is there a way to see if the glow plug is hot enough without a heat gun? because that's probably why it won't fire also do you think the starter spray that you use for pressure washers and things like that would work to just make it fire at least once?
If the element grow orange, it should have no issue firing.

????

like the very flammable spray that u spray in the engine to make it start firing

Replace the pull starter with a sullivan tiger drive. You won't brake any more ropes. As for the steering check your radio end point adjustments. You may have bumped or messed with them.