I need help finding a plane.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Nitro?

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright,this could be intresting,I can't drive worth a crap,So ill try flying. I'm a noob to airplanes,I flew a hobbyzone aero bird i think it was,For about 30 mins,And i hated it,It would only steer one way,and if i let off the throttle to turn the otherway,straight into the ground i went.So what i need is somebody who has suggestion for a new airplane.Gas isn't what i want for sure.At least not until i get a good amount of flight time. If somebody's got a good suggestion on a Noob electric plane let me know.

Well, it depends on how much you want to spend and how serious you are. For $30, go to Target or K-Mart and get an Air Hogs AirAce biplane. Yeah, it's a toy, but it flies pretty good. You can fly it around the yard. And it will teach you some basic orientation skills.
If you think you're ready for a real plane, there are a couple to consider. The GWS Slow Stick is a neat one. It's not overly expensive. Flys slow for beginners. 3-channels with elevator/rudder which is a good way to start. Or if you want something bigger, the Multiplex EZStar is a cool one. Big wing. Foam. Again, elevator/rudder and a good gentle flyer. I know FastEddy has a Slow Stick which he is having a ball with. I am currently on my 3rd plane which is a GWS Tiger Moth 400 which I just finished building tonight.
Those should be a couple good suggestions to start with. Let us know what else we can do to help.

I was looking at the moth 400. It's a nice plane, I'm trying to stay under $200. I know kinda how to fly but the plane I'm wanting to buy has to be rtf,since I'm not really excited about high cost and me crashing. I'm going to my lhs to browse thursday or saturday. Basiclly I've decided to extend my love of r/c to somthing not nitro.

I was looking at this plane as a cheapy starter http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLEZ4&P=7

Last edited:
2 channels isn't going to do it. The only what to climb and dive is to speed up or slow down.

I like my slow stick if you look for a used radio, speed control, and servos you can pull in at under 200.00 easy.

35 for the Slow stick new, 30 or less for 2 servos, 100 for a radio on flea-bay and the rest for a speed controller.

Eddy gave great links. Especially that last one. I see a bidding war there!
The nice thing is that decking out a Slow Stick can be inexpensive. And it's a nice plane to learn on. I am even thinking about getting one just for slow, lazy flying. And the prices are great. I watch that guy at IN-Hobbies a lot because he has decent offers on no-name combos which aren't bad. So you could easily get flying with an SS for under $200.

I'm starting to think the slow stick might be the way to go,Unfourtantlly,That dress won't fit me. I'm going to look into it,Slow flying is what i need,I live around a lot of tree's and house's.Ill see what i can come up with.

if you want a plane for realy slow flying, get a twist.......it is set up for glow engines but a 450-500 electric motor can be put in its place just as easy.......i have a 500 on mine.........this plane can do every stunt emaginable even 3d tricks like hanging on the prop...........the only thing is that the plane has large control surfaces and is real toutchy but it can be flown very slow or realy fast.........dont take but about 40-50ft of room for takeoff.........you can even land the twist straight down once you get used to bliping the throttle & controls.........it says it is a plane for advanced to expert flyers but it was my second plane.........never did learn with a trainer type plane...........my first was a 4star40 which was a sports low wing plane and fast too.......no slow flying on that one..........

SS can take off in 0 feet and land in 0 feet.
Hand launch is a breez and its fun to cut the speed to 0 and catch it in your hand :D

Back