I love my jato... But is there something else better 4 me?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGz_NYC

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I love my jato... It's my 1st rc in yrs... My 1st nitro ever, my baby :)

I've done tons of upgrades, some good ones some poor ones (screw u integy) I love how she flys up n down the street, slap some dirt tires on and she can handle the track pretty well also.

My major n only issues is she won't stop for shyt. I've done the dual break mod, the fuel/pen tube mod. N no stopping power what so ever. My last attemp is an alum brake cam lever combined with the other mods. If this doesn't work I'm looking to trade her in or sell her :(

My question is if I do wind up selling her what else is out there that can compare to the speed but have way better stopping power?
Has to be nitro powered, 4wd, fast, I preffer a stadium,truggy, or truck, something like the traxxas 4-tec won't work for me

Last edited:
Try upgrading your throttle/brake servo.

Revo...
ymaju8eq.jpg
not my truck but I love it

Try upgrading your throttle/brake servo.

not sure if its a much better one but i did get the 2025 high torque servos from traxxas

Revo...
ymaju8eq.jpg
not my truck but I love it

does it stop better then the jato??? and can it be brought up to its speed??? 2-speed like the jato or just 1?

Last edited:
my 3.3 revo Runs great Idk if it's as fast as a jato I have never owned a jato.... As far as brakes yes it stops great especially with a center diff and the rear brake kit and yes it's 2 spd

I have a Revo too its no where near as fast as the Jato. What body is that on your Revo emaxx? It looks sick. I use a Savox servo with 166oz of torque. It's way stronger than any Traxxas servo. It was a great upgrade.

If ur talking about the one in my sig it's the Xciter body for the revo if ur talking about the pix I posted above its bit mine but it's an 8ight t 2.0 jc concepts punisher body

If ur talking about the one in my sig it's the Xciter body for the revo if ur talking about the pix I posted above its bit mine but it's an 8ight t 2.0 jc concepts punisher body
I was talking about the one you posted. Did u have to mod anything to get it to fit?

Use an Exceed brake for their forza 1/10th scale buggy, I did this mod, (first one to ever do this mod I believe) I get wheel locks on full brake and a good solid controlled brake on three quarters. You have little springs on the screws in between the calipers that keep it off the rotor guaranteed. It's a nice drilled and slotted rotor and composite fiberglass pads, use the stock Jato steel calipers. And its very cheap

Last edited:
Use an Exceed brake for their forza 1/10th scale buggy, I did this mod, (first one to ever do this mod I believe) I get wheel locks on full brake and a good solid controlled brake on three quarters. You have little springs on the screws in between the calipers that keep it off the rotor guaranteed. It's a nice drilled and slotted rotor and composite fiberglass pads, use the stock Jato steel calipers. And its very cheap

Sounds interesting... Do u mind posting a picture? Or better yet do u have a walkthrough?

Yea, I can post pictures of how I did it. It looks pretty bada** and hefty!

---------- Post added at 7:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:33 PM ----------

I have to charge my camera, itll be about 30 minutes

The mod

Ok, my camera is not the best quality, so I could not post a walk though, I can do that with words

CopyofDSC02925_zps0bb989ac.jpg

The model it came off of, the exceed forza, now just a skeleton that I have picked over for parts.

DSC02926_zps92272b9e.jpg

There is the transmission from the forza, you can see the hole where the brake once was and the missing driveshaft cup.

DSC02928_zps0686b69f.jpg

And there it is! My mod! No BS about how it needs to be cleaned! I just got in from running!

DSC02930_zps1d3a26ab.jpg

A top view of the mod where you can see the driveshaft cup, it is a lock collar that is on the original brake shaft that I have lock tighted with blue high temp. I have also taken my dremel and filed down the driveshaft cup to form a grove for the calipers to move in.

DSC02931_zps89bfcff6.jpg

Of course it's nothing without the fuel tubing mod! Essential!

DSC02934_zps959e4506.jpg

There you can kinda see the lock collar nut at the end of my hex and the grove I cut out with a dremel.

DSC02935_zpsc3002090.jpg

Theres the assembly taken off the jato, Stock metal jato calipers for the semi metallic just with ceramic pads put on the inside of them from the forza. And the rotor, a very powerful slotted rotor that sizzles at 150 degrees after a 50 mph gradual stop.

DSC02936_zps55444087.jpg

In between my pale ginger fingers is the rotor where you can see the grooved center to hold it on the driveshaft cup.

DSC02937_zps5d87be9d.jpg

Here is the caliper and pads with one spring taken out from the screw, you can see how the spring moves it away from the rotor when not in use to provide no drag what so ever.

DSC02938_zps2fafd92e.jpg

There is the mod part that is most complicated, you can see the difference in length between the two, youll have to dremel or drill an oval on one of the holes in the pad from the forza to compensate. Much like one of the holes on the stock calipers on the jato, that is an oval shape to allow for adjustment.

DSC02939_zps3b8e48de.jpg

And there is the driveshaft cup on the brake pole with no caliper, It is essentially a shaped lock collar designed to hold a dogbone and the rotor. You MUST LOCK TIGHT THIS! if you don't the nut will vibrate loose and you will have no braking at all! The cup will spin freely on the brake pole even when on full brake! USE BLUE HIGH TEMP ONLY!

Overall it is a simple mod and works fantastic! Good solid controlled braking at 3/4ths brake and lock on full. I will not think about getting a different mod or ever going back to stock! If you have questions PM me and I can tell you.

If you want something around the same size as the Jato, look at the Losi Ten-T. It is 4wd, fast, and handles way better than the Jato. The Jato will probably take it in a long run, because of the 2 speed, but the Losi beats the Jato off the line (4wd).

Ok, my camera is not the best quality, so I could not post a walk though, I can do that with words

CopyofDSC02925_zps0bb989ac.jpg

The model it came off of, the exceed forza, now just a skeleton that I have picked over for parts.

DSC02926_zps92272b9e.jpg

There is the transmission from the forza, you can see the hole where the brake once was and the missing driveshaft cup.

DSC02928_zps0686b69f.jpg

And there it is! My mod! No BS about how it needs to be cleaned! I just got in from running!

DSC02930_zps1d3a26ab.jpg

A top view of the mod where you can see the driveshaft cup, it is a lock collar that is on the original brake shaft that I have lock tighted with blue high temp. I have also taken my dremel and filed down the driveshaft cup to form a grove for the calipers to move in.

DSC02931_zps89bfcff6.jpg

Of course it's nothing without the fuel tubing mod! Essential!

DSC02934_zps959e4506.jpg

There you can kinda see the lock collar nut at the end of my hex and the grove I cut out with a dremel.

DSC02935_zpsc3002090.jpg

Theres the assembly taken off the jato, Stock metal jato calipers for the semi metallic just with ceramic pads put on the inside of them from the forza. And the rotor, a very powerful slotted rotor that sizzles at 150 degrees after a 50 mph gradual stop.

DSC02936_zps55444087.jpg

In between my pale ginger fingers is the rotor where you can see the grooved center to hold it on the driveshaft cup.

DSC02937_zps5d87be9d.jpg

Here is the caliper and pads with one spring taken out from the screw, you can see how the spring moves it away from the rotor when not in use to provide no drag what so ever.

DSC02938_zps2fafd92e.jpg

There is the mod part that is most complicated, you can see the difference in length between the two, youll have to dremel or drill an oval on one of the holes in the pad from the forza to compensate. Much like one of the holes on the stock calipers on the jato, that is an oval shape to allow for adjustment.

DSC02939_zps3b8e48de.jpg

And there is the driveshaft cup on the brake pole with no caliper, It is essentially a shaped lock collar designed to hold a dogbone and the rotor. You MUST LOCK TIGHT THIS! if you don't the nut will vibrate loose and you will have no braking at all! The cup will spin freely on the brake pole even when on full brake! USE BLUE HIGH TEMP ONLY!

Overall it is a simple mod and works fantastic! Good solid controlled braking at 3/4ths brake and lock on full. I will not think about getting a different mod or ever going back to stock! If you have questions PM me and I can tell you.

Thanks for the walkthru looks like it might be just a lil out of my league...

If you want something around the same size as the Jato, look at the Losi Ten-T. It is 4wd, fast, and handles way better than the Jato. The Jato will probably take it in a long run, because of the 2 speed, but the Losi beats the Jato off the line (4wd).

That was a other small issue I had with the jato. It says its a 1/10 scale but it so small compared to a few trucks my pops has that also 1/10 scale... What's up with that? But I will give the ten-t a look over

That was a other small issue I had with the jato. It says its a 1/10 scale but it so small compared to a few trucks my pops has that also 1/10 scale... What's up with that? But I will give the ten-t a look over
It's a 1/10 scale STADIUM truck, I'm guessing your dad has Monster trucks. A full size ST is smaller than a full size MT, so the scaled down versions will be the same.

It's a 1/10 scale STADIUM truck, I'm guessing your dad has Monster trucks. A full size ST is smaller than a full size MT, so the scaled down versions will be the same.

he has an e-revo and had a slayer pro and a buggy all were 1/10 n the jato looks so tiny next to them. But she beat each and every single 1 of them so bad had to call acs on her... lol

Dunno how quick the 1/10 e revo is but my 1/16 is undriveable on 3s. I mean from stock at 3/4 throttle, if u have a straight long enough to even get to 3/4 throttle speed when u hit full throttle it wheelies. That on the 50mph gearing...

I had the jato 3.3 and i loved it, agile quick... How ever i live on dirt roads.. some asphalt, and even with some meaty tires it just seems to slide around and hard to control under full throttle. I found my self swapping to a 1 speed, larger tires, better suspension, and just some personal adjustments to everything. Even after all this, as fun as the truck was it just wasn't that fun in the sense that it was to un predictable. For rc.. I'm just a 4wd lover and can't get enough of that control. I ended up selling my jato and saving back the money for a savage 4.6 and love it. To me 4wd is a ton of fun in the sense that you can hold wide open and just have that much more control to focus on jumps or other stuff rather focusing on controlling the vehicle.

Now i know some will say that its purely just driver skill and that i suck at driving.. But compared to past nitro trucks I've owned it was just too squirly.

If you want the same style truck.. then a truggy is your best bet. But then you need to decide.. what would be the price you want to spend ? What companies do you favor ? do you want a race or bash truggy ?? do you want a kit or RTR?? theres alot to chose from really..

If your a traxxas guy then like a user posted earlier revo would probably be your best bet. If you want to venture out and try some other things then there are alot of choices !!

Back