I finally totalled it

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echelon6

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm admittedly a pretty bad driver, still.

Tonight I was driving and I smashed my rs4 into a concrete wall at probably 40mph

But not like what you think, I actually smashed it into the side of the wall, onto the edge where the wall ends

i.e.

wall
====== <-- [:::] rs4

But there's more. I hit it such that the right 20% of my car absorbed all of it. As a result, my right front arm snapped right off, I have a shattered fuel tank, and my tuned pipe is mangled. Also the right front wheel's outdrive is bent, I have several bent dogbones and bent screws here and there.

Now, a reasonable person in my position would replace the three parts I mentioned above as well as the misc parts such as bent screws etc. But being on a student budget I've decided to fix what I can using what I have available.

For the front arms, I've CA glued it back together. Now it seems like the CA joint is even stronger than the rest of the arm lol.

I will carefully hammer my tuned pipe back into shape (the manifold is mangled actually, the tuned pipe is alright, except the stinger snapped off, which is fine, I will attempt to glue that back on somehow... there's always a way ;) )

And for the misc screws / dogbones etc, I'll do what I've always done: using a vice to hold it down, carefully hammer it back into straightness again, as far as the naked eye can detect.

Being my basher car, and I never race or do anything competitive, I have no need to have a mechanically perfect rig.

The only thing I can't fix is the snapped fuel tank. I THINK I can CA glue the cracks back together, but I suspect that any future little bump will cause the crakcs to reopen so that's not worth my trouble, and since fuel isn't exactly cheap.

So the repair bill comes to $23 AUD for the fuel tank :(
Plus my labour which I value to be $400/hr :(

Ahh well such is the hobby. :D

To fix the tuned pipe, I've heard of people sealing all ends of the pipe except the manifold end, then fill it completely with water, then seal the stinger. Next place it in the freezer, and when it freezes it will expand from the inside out and it will fix the pipe. I've seen a pipe that has had this done and it looked good as new, but I've never done this process. Just something to think about.

Thanks for that tip, but its my exhaust manifold which is all bent up

I really hope I can hammer it back into a usable shape without tearing a hole in it

By the way, any bright ideas on gluing the stinger back into the pipe? Its porous cast aluminium and I don't have welding equipment at home sadly

JB Weld or an aluminum welding rod and torch would probably work?!

Come on man.

We need to see carnage pics!!!!!

MUST SEE CARNAGE.... I hit a pole that was attached to a B ball hoop at WOT with the LST2 and it sheared off the whole right side arms. I wish I would have taken pictures but I couldnt stop laughing:hehe:

No pics sorry, wasn't carrying camera around at the time
then when I got home I dismantled everything already
its all cleaned up now and no longer carnagey

Thank god for CA glue, what a marvelous invention

No longer 'carnagey'
Lol i like that.
But make sure you use the right glue, if its not, it can detiriorate (bad spelling) and fall into ur fuel...

The fuel tank's being replaced, sadly I can't glue that back to life