I did a dual tank mod on my T-Maxx 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all..

I just wanted to share this with you.

I have done a dual tank mod for the T-Maxx. I allready made it for the Savage, but it is not so much of a challenge as doing it for the Maxx.

I have used the Hayes 2oz. headertank (usually used for helis and planes) and placed it where the reverse dervo normally would be. I allready did the FOC so I had the room for it.

I then simply made a bracket from 1.5mm alu and ziptied the headertank on to it. The Zip ties is some durable little devils normally used for industrial work (yes there's apparently different kinds of zip ties. A friend of mine advised me for these)

I hope you are able to see how I mounted it on the pictures. If not, then I will try to answer alle your questions.

Edit: I changed the image size to 640x480. I forget I use 1920x1200 on my Inspiron-8600

Regards

IMG_1984_small_forum.jpg

IMG_1985_small_forum.jpg

IMG_1986_small_forum.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job.

You may want to reduce your the image size to 640x480. There are rules on image size within posts on this site. Besides, your post would look much better if you didn't have to side scroll to view your images. Thanks.

edit: Much better. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sasquatch, check you PM's. I had a question about your blue servo. Is it coated with something ?

Now what is the purpose for this mod? more even fuel pressure?

I am interested in getting my fuel pressure stabilized. I am considering a smaller tank. Let me know how this one works

I betchas that's a XTM high torqque servo.. just a guess

Last edited:
militarymaxx:

My replys to your PM's are not being send for some reason so here goes:

Yes it is the stuff for tools.

PlastiDip. It comes in different colors even.

I tied my dervo to my bumper on the truck ang had it hanging with a newspaper undetneath for drip-stop.

Give it two coatings with 1 hour of drying time in between.
----------

Lykan:

Not for the fuel pressure. I just wanted a dual tank because I had it on my Savage too.

I did it mostly because of the self leaning problem I had. Ane secondly because I wanted to try it.

And yes it works. I have run 5-8 tanks and even flipped the T-Maxx over and it idled for 4 minutes before i concluded that it worked.

The PlastiDipped Servos are Hites 465 MG and the Original Traxxas Steering servo

Regards

That's what I was talking about self-leaning. It leans because the fuel pressure drops toward the end of the tank.

Did this help your self leaning condition? does the temp stay the ame from begining to end of the tank?

Aaah I see.

Yes it has stopped the self leaning for me.

I have not been monitoring the temparature from full to empty tank, but I can tell you this much. I have never before been able to run the truck hard for an entire tank and then just WOT it back to me. Powerslide it to a stop and have it idle perfectly for as long as I want it to.

Tomorrow I will run it again (I have to set my two speed shift point anyway). Then I will monitor the temps for you.

cheers...

Sasquatch - I got some plastidip and have dipped both my servos but I've noticed that the liquid has pooled in some places and the surface dries pretty quick. Will the stuff that's underneath eventually dry solid? For example, if you dropped some on a flat surface, the outer skin dries quickly but everything underneath is still liquidy.

Yes it will.... eventually. It'll just last longer.

I found it to give the best result when dipping at a slow rate.

I did get some thick layer of plastidip on the underneth of the servomounts (because of the servo hanging in its own wire.

Dont worry. It will dry.

When you have mounted the servo, you can put some new on wit a cue tip if you rip it, or atleast where the screws for mounting goes in the servomount. I did that myself. In that way the servos are 100% waterproof. (I have actually driven my T-mass into a stream and nothing happened with my servos (or my other electronics. I PlastiDipped my Rx box too))

hey.. will this work? Dip your high dollar servos, and then put the hair dryer on them? Will it dry faster or not? j/w , thanks

I don't know really. It says on the can of the product that it might speed up drying time if placed near heat sources, but that direct sunlight or very high temperatures during trying is not recommended.

Today I tested the dual tank setup regarding temps.

My Maxx stays at the same temperature all the time during the kind of driving you do.

That is if I drive it hard the temps get up to about 250-260 F but all the way through the tank. and at 240-250 during idling (i didnt idle through one whole tank, but tested at the beginning and end of a tank).

Normal bashing temps = 230-250 F

This is great for me because before my temps quickly got up to 260F and below ½ tank it got even higher. 300+ and then the engine stopped (or I did it when meassuring these high temperatures).

Regards.

So you are saying your temps before the tank mod could ran around 260, and peaked at 300+

After the tank mod, your temps dont get any higher than 260?

Correct. I have not changed the needle settings.

After the temp post earlier. I ran 3/4 tank only high speet runs up and down the street and temp only got up to 275F.

This would have been impossible for me before.

this plastic dip wont hurt the servos will it? i mean it is practically a liquid that forms a sold, it can get on the electrical part and short it , then dry, but the damage has already been done. ah sorry but its just confusing a little.

No it will not hurt the servo. Trust me on that. :bling:

The PlastiDip is quite thick and will not get into any electronics, just coat it. When it hardens it is still extremely flexible. 250% to 500% actually without breaking. Like a tough baloon formed exactly at what ever You dip in it. I usually dip 2-3 inched of the servowire also.

I know some of you all were asking about the pressure being equalized. A guy at my LHS had taken a small fuel filter and gutted it. Then he put the gutted filter in the pressure return line. He said that it really stabilized the fuel pressure. I think this will work cause it is just like an air compressor. You use a tank to get a more stable and constant pressure, but anyway that is my 2 cents

i have the big block conversion kit in mine and would like to put two tanks in it, how would i do it

Back