Hyrax to what wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Hello tire / wheel experts, I hope there are a few out there.
I'm currently putting Hyrax 1.9s onto amazon wheels and they are not working out. lots of wobble because the beads are not seating under the bead locks correctly. What are the best wheels out there to fit the Hyrax tires. not talking the most expensive but the best fit. I want to stay with aluminum. or are there some tricks to getting the tires even under the beads. Tires are 1.9 Hyrax, foams are proline 2 stage for 1.9 and wheels are 1.9 Benedict Harrys from amazon. Thanks in advance

Not sure but it looks like it may work.

I saw one of those a few weeks ago. Wonder what the screws are for 🤔
I have this device, and it works quite well. It allows you to apply even pressure to all sides of the bead and rings. It's essentially an extra set of hands: 1 set to apply even pressure, the 2nd set to install the screws.
The loose screws in that kit are starter screws. They come in different diameter and are purposely long. Beadlock wheels typically only comes with the exact size length screws, which makes installing tires challenging. I find that when using this device, the starter screws aren't necessary.
1007211915a.jpg
1007211913.jpg

Attachments

• 1007211913a.jpg
    1007211913a.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 33
I have this device, and it works quite well. It allows you to apply even pressure to all sides of the bead and rings. It's essentially an extra set of hands: 1 set to apply even pressure, the 2nd set to install the screws.
The loose screws in that kit are starter screws. They come in different diameter and are purposely long. Beadlock wheels typically only comes with the exact size length screws, which makes installing tires challenging. I find that when using this device, the starter screws aren't necessary.View attachment 143836View attachment 143838
Awesome. I never have too much trouble doing beadlocks, but now I am going to start printing one. I might have to do one for the 1.0 SCX24 wheels too. Although, the RC4WD wagon wheels I just did were some of the easiest beadlocks I have ever assembled.

Treals, vanquish (methods), and cross have all worked great for me. Cross I changed out the aluminum to brass inner rings.

Off Amazon the hobbysoul ones were really nice.

Tips for install. Make sure you don’t see any excess runner on the beads sticking up. Happens once in a while. Can also lube the bead so the can move to get seated. Last is 1 screw per side. Just barley start one, then start the next. Run them down alternating. Some times the front and back will get locked sideways on that inner ring.

I can build a set of treal rims in 15 minutes. Cross takes me 45. I need to compress those with the rim tool. Only rims I needed it for. Cross rims are cheap price wise and have the vintage look to them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 31
LOL I was wondering that myself. I hope there are some instructions, just to find that out.
Others said they are starter screws. I kinda thought that is what they were, but seemed strange for them to supply them.

Others said they are starter screws. I kinda thought that is what they were, but seemed strange for them to supply them.
I do like that they included these screws, since every wheel made are designed a bit differently. Some times the wingnut goes on the outside of the wheel, sometimes the inside. The device won't work at all on these "classic" wheels, because of how the wheel screws are positioned. Mine came with no instructions, which is fairly typical of many Chinese made products.
0906211639c.jpg

I do like that they included these screws, since every wheel made are designed a bit differently. Some times the wingnut goes on the outside of the wheel, sometimes the inside. The device won't work at all on these "classic" wheels, because of how the wheel screws are positioned. Mine came with no instructions, which is fairly typical of many Chinese made products.View attachment 143895
I have sets of those Wagons in various sizes. 1.9, 1.55, and 1.0. Even the 1.0's go together rather easily, albeit a bit fiddly because everything is so tiny. I have seen people complain about them, but they are some of the easiest to assemble to me.

The only beadlocks I have ever struggled with are ones where the tire really doesn't fit the wheel that great. That's probably the only time I would use this tool, when trying to force a tire into submission. But usually, just screaming obscenities at them scares them into place 🤪

I have sets of those Wagons in various sizes. 1.9, 1.55, and 1.0. Even the 1.0's go together rather easily, albeit a bit fiddly because everything is so tiny. I have seen people complain about them, but they are some of the easiest to assemble to me.

The only beadlocks I have ever struggled with are ones where the tire really doesn't fit the wheel that great. That's probably the only time I would use this tool, when trying to force a tire into submission. But usually, just screaming obscenities at them scares them into place 🤪
I got those white classic (wagon) wheels off Amazon. These had fairly poor ratings, in regards to installation, and I have to agree. The makers designed the outside lip area(where the wheels grabs the tires) differently than the inside lip. The inside lip grabs the tire perfectly, but the outside lip is lacking 2 flat surfaces to pinch the tires. Thus, making even seating extremely difficult! Just poor designing.

I got those white classic (wagon) wheels off Amazon. These had fairly poor ratings, in regards to installation, and I have to agree. The makers designed the outside lip area(where the wheels grabs the tires) differently than the inside lip. The inside lip grabs the tire perfectly, but the outside lip is lacking 2 flat surfaces to pinch the tires. Thus, making even seating extremely difficult! Just poor designing.
Hey, they probably copied that design off of a blurry picture of RC4WD wheels they found on Google Fu. They look good, so A for effort 😉

Hey, they probably copied that design off of a blurry picture of RC4WD wheels they found on Google Fu. They look good, so A for effort 😉
It was a total biatch to install. I wanted to install the Traxxas Canyon tires or Hyrax, but absolutely no bueno! So, I'm settling with the stock Gen8 tires.