hyper .21 is sooo thirsty

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmypiratert

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have a hyper .21 powered ofna pirate 10 rt and i have just been running it in over the last week or so. i have gone through 3 litres of fuel and its still as slow as when i started , i take it to a large field and do the same large oval shaped circuit to let the revs build up but they only rise when its nearly out of fuel. i have left it at factory settings, although it goes through a tank very fast and there is a lot of excess fuel coming out of the exhaust. it starts fine and has no trouble staying started it just wont perform like it should. my friends hyper 7 only needed about 1 litre of fuel and it was going fine in no time. should i change the settings so that it has less fuel and more air? or will this affect the engine as its not fully run in yet? i'm nowhere near being able to jam the throttle on yet, if i do it just dies. any ideas?
Thanks Tim :arrr:

See my post in 1/8th buggy talk above. I have the OFNA Hyper 7 .21 8 port engine and in stock settings it was sooo rich it barely would run above idle. I have gone through 3 tanks in about 20 minutes of actual running. THe thing is really spitting out excess fuel. I suspect the settings OFNA recommends to break these in is WAYYYYYY too rich. I have turned in (leaned) my HSN needle over 1.5 turns. Stil real richa nd runnign temps about 130 F.

ill have a look, cheers for your help. you say youve leaned the hsn in 1.5 turns yeah. and that was before it was run in completely? do you think this has effected your engine at all? its just that this is the first time i have bought a new car, usually i have a second hand car and they run fine when i get them. i know what you mean though my pirate uses about the same amount of fuel in the same time as yours although mine has a tiny break in between tanks.

i know when i was breaking in my hyper 8 port, it drank fuel extremely fast out of my 75cc tank on the rc10gt. When it was leaned out, it would give me about 10-12 min runs with superb power. When its all broken in and tuned, it is a great engine!

i gave you both the answer to your problem in the 1/8 buggy forum.

yeah I know the answer....It's an OFNA ENGINE>>>HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....ha?
:jk: sounds too rich to me....20mins / 3 tanks?!?!?!?! yeah it's rich

Revo Rancher said:
See my post in 1/8th buggy talk above. I have the OFNA Hyper 7 .21 8 port engine and in stock settings it was sooo rich it barely would run above idle. I have gone through 3 tanks in about 20 minutes of actual running. THe thing is really spitting out excess fuel. I suspect the settings OFNA recommends to break these in is WAYYYYYY too rich. I have turned in (leaned) my HSN needle over 1.5 turns. Stil real richa nd runnign temps about 130 F.

from what i know you need to get at least 190f to break in a engine right?

130 degrees is nothing more than a nice summer day in Phoenix.
Lean you LSN till idle temp holds at around 170 to 180, then continue with your break in. If you were only getting to 130, I would suggest you go a few extra tanks for the proper heat cycling. At the end of each tank, make sure you return the piston to BDC and allow it to cool completely before starting on the next tank.

Thanks to Corrado and Rolex, I got mine running strong in all ranges and at 180F. Looks like I have it licked. I got through 20 minutes and half a tanks on this last attempt. (see 1/8 thread) I will lean it out more when I get more time on the motor. Still spitting a ton of fuel, but at least it is protecting itself this way.

The problem is, you may be damaging it running it that cool that long. Nothing expanded the way it should.

I'd be interested to know when that thing dies on you just to see if the theory is a true one or not.

cheers for all your advice. unfortunately i can't put any of it into practice till monday. I'll keep you posted.

timmypiratert, hyper 8-port is a pretty snappy engine. You should get about 7-8 minutes on each tank when the air/fuel mix is right. As for how to fix it, it sounds like you have all the info. good luck with it. :cheers:

Yeah, i have a hyper 8-port as well, and even on my rc10gt with a 75cc gas tank, i get about 9-10 mins on it.

i however dont have an 8 port, as much as i wish i did. i have just the normal hyper .21 engine. i will be trying to finish the running in again on monday so i will let everyone know how i got on. good news though, got my new cvd's today so i'll be fitting those on monday. anyways i'll hit ya all back if i have any luck. I've learned some things i never knew. thanks all

Back