Hybrid Nitro/Electric 4wd with a twist

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitroarrr

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Before anyone decides to condemn me to hell for this one, of the several I have read some of the existing threads about potential (and attempted) hybrid builds, although most are quite outdated and didn't seem to finish.

So firstly, this is an idea/potential project/question/open discussion so don't be afraid to give your two cents worth people!
Secondly, the pure purpose of this is (like pretty much the rest of the RC world) for tinkering, to have a bit of fun and try something different, as opposed to just speed/run times/fuel saving etc.

So let's get down to business. I've been thinking of getting a 4WD chassis and with a few mods and tweaks, have it so the rear wheels are driven by the engine and the front wheels can be driven by an electric motor. One of the benefits of electric over brushless is the instant response and torque from standstill, once the engine picks up the revs the electric motor can "phase out" and the car can rely on nitro power for the top end, sort of getting the best of both worlds. Think of it like a two-gear system, just more expensive, inefficient and a lot more complex :D.

Also, with a bit of electronics (i.e. ardunio/pi) the speed controller can be monitored/controlled so the motor can be more "intelligently" used, as opposed to just running parallel with the engine.

Let me know what you all think!

I like the idea behind it. Almost like a hybrid car uses an electric motor around the city and the gasoline engine for highway/long distance travel. I'd be interested in watching the build.

I've been thinking of getting a 4WD chassis and with a few mods and tweaks, have it so the rear wheels are driven by the engine and the front wheels can be driven by an electric motor. One of the benefits of electric over brushless is the instant response and torque from standstill, once the engine picks up the revs the electric motor can "phase out" and the car can rely on nitro power for the top end, sort of getting the best of both worlds.

This makes it sound like it'll be fwd while electric and rwd while nitro, not truly 4wd. If this is the case, the instant power of the electric setup will be useless because your front tires will become pizza cutters and not put down the power...think of a 4wd truggy with super light oil in the center diff.
Another thing would be the constant drag of the electric motor on the drive train after it's "phased out".

I see this as being possible but as one of those "I built it because I wanted to projects". I don't see it being a useful basher, or as a rig that would hold up to constant use.

I like the idea behind it. Almost like a hybrid car uses an electric motor around the city and the gasoline engine for highway/long distance travel. I'd be interested in watching the build.

Yep exactly! Although this will probably not reap the same rewards as it's 1/10th the size of a real car ;)

This makes it sound like it'll be fwd while electric and rwd while nitro, not truly 4wd. If this is the case, the instant power of the electric setup will be useless because your front tires will become pizza cutters and not put down the power...think of a 4wd truggy with super light oil in the center diff.
Another thing would be the constant drag of the electric motor on the drive train after it's "phased out".

I see this as being possible but as one of those "I built it because I wanted to projects". I don't see it being a useful basher, or as a rig that would hold up to constant use.

I'm not sure I understand why the front tires won't be able to put down the power, if you could explain that please? But yea you're right in the sense that it's not a conventional 4WD system. Also I was thinking that using a one way bearing (similar to those used in a pull starter) should reduce the constant drag issue :thumbs-down:.
Thanks for the response, it's always good to get another opinion!

If you can keep weight distribution even front and rear you will have more torque on the front but fwd is always more difficult.
Front wheels have to pull all the weight and that results in less traction.

I'm not sure I understand why the front tires won't be able to put down the power, if you could explain that please?
Unless you have a ton of weight the front will be too light to keep traction.

If you can keep weight distribution even front and rear you will have more torque on the front but fwd is always more difficult.
Front wheels have to pull all the weight and that results in less traction.

Unless you have a ton of weight the front will be too light to keep traction.

This seems so obvious now that you mention it, I'm starting to realise that this project won't really provide any performance benefits, but I'd love to see a hybrid so I'll still go along with it :D!

Also, anyone have advice on chassis? I was thinking off buying a used truggy online somewhere and modifying it as necessary, I'd like to keep the price of it under a £100 (not including the extra costs for modifications to chassis/electronics/etc.) and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, cheers all!

Back