HPI Sprint 2 Drift project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost bought this last week, at a local hobby shop! Looks Good! Electric is growing on me. I might pick up a electric to mess with. Indoor drifting (rc) is getting big at a local hobby shop, and until June, they dont have the correct vents/system for nitro... :(

I'm finding I like it a lot. Being able to drop normal on-road tires on it lets me scratch either the drift or high-speed itch.

I'm a little peeved that the TLU-02 unit I got came in DOA. I've got to ship it to Tamiya for a replacement. Aside from the light kit, the show body is completely done.

I'll do pics later this eve.

This is really got me interested in a drifter now. The wife is gonna like the outcome...

Are you using a D-Box?

Nope. The D-Box is just an overpriced piezo gyro.

For those who care, the D-Box is a stability-assist piezo-gyro which applies automatic countersteer when detecting yaw (tail end sliding out too far). This makes it much easier to learn to drift since it can be sensitivity adjusted to make up for lack of skill while learning or to enable more forgiving handling.

HPI wants too much for the D-Box anyway. You can get the same exact thing with a GWS PG-03 gyro for around $35 or so.

Ah, so should i axe the idea of it for my first drifter?

Ah, so should i axe the idea of it for my first drifter?

It really depends on your budget and desire. If you can afford it, why not? It'll help you get into drifting with less of a learning curve but bear in mind that it will give you a false sense of skill as it corrects your mistakes for you. It all boils down to how much you enjoy the challenge or driving drills. I know it took me a solid week of driving to even begin to control my drifts well to where I wasn't spinning out all the time. A lot of boring drift drill exercises etc.

If you do decide to try it, you might want to look at the GWS PG-03 which is the exact same thing as the DBox in functionality and plug 'n go setup, just less expensive.