HPI Sprint 2 Drift project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoeba

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So all my stuff came in today. I'll be building my first drifter, an HPI Sprint 2 Drift roller w/Novak SLYDR Brushless 7.5t system. I'm going to get her built initially just running NiMH but I've got a 2S LiPo hardpack coming in soon. I'll post pics and notes on progress as I get it together.

drift boxes.jpg

i hate you that is the next car I'm gonna add to my "collection". i want a drifter sooo bad

oh hell yeah, thats gonna be a sweet drifter for sure, specially on brushless and lipo!!!

Congrats on the new car! Sounds like she gonna be kick a**!

I got the electronics & motor installed last night. Mounting the Novak ESC and Futaba receiver took some time because there weren't a lot of viable options for solid mounts. The upper chassis deck plate is full of cut-outs and since the belt drive isn't sealed I had to work around it, few workable solid flat places to mount things. I'd recommend people looking at getting a rolling chassis vs the RTR consider picking up mini-sized ESC/receivers to avoid the issue. The option to do a across the chassis stick pack or along the chassis central saddle pack configuration is nice but that flexibility cuts into placement options as well.

I'll have more pics up later tonight on current status. My soldering skills leave a lot to be desired. The SLYDR motor stock wire setup has the wires facing up towards the pinion end.

novc3067.jpg

I had to remove and resolder them facing out backwards to allow the motor to fit.

Testing with the chassis up on blocks I got the EPA and trims all set and verified everything is working, I'll finish up locking down wiring and making the insides look purty then it's on to work on the shell. So far I'm not impressed with the Novak motor speed but honestly I'm not sure if it's apparent lack of speed is due to gearing or the power output I'm running (Venom 7.2v 3600MaH NiMH stick). Eyeballing RPM at WOT seems that my Stampede stock setup is way faster. Something's probably my fault here so if any ideas chime in. I'm debating whether to enable reverse or just leave it forward only.

Last edited:
Status so far: Wiring is mostly done. Still debating on whether to put in Dean's or bullet connectors for the motor.

Here you can see the upper chassis plate and where I mounted the receiver. Not a lot of options since both sides on the upper plate have swing outs for stick packs and I want the choice to use either side but the receiver fits just barely where it's at.

View attachment 7231

The ESC I had less choice for placement. Luckily it fits between the steering linkage and pack slot, plus the power switch placement will allow for easy on/off without having to remove the body.

View attachment 7232

Don't laugh at the total suckage at soldering. This was just a trial connect. Once I'm certain everything is dialed in and where I want it I'll go back and do a proper solder job.

View attachment 7233

I'm in the process of prepping the body for mask & paint. Oddly, the stock 350Z GREDDY body requires you to cut the bumper for proper fit. I'm still waiting for my magnets to come in so I can put on the hidden body mounts. Also have some bling ordered from genkidoridori, we'll see how long that takes to get here. I'm also considering getting the CF chassis hop-up from HPI, the stock plastic chassis seems to flex too easily.

At some point I'll need to figure out why top speed isn't very good. Could use some input from you electric gurus... is it my gearing or the power output of the venom 3600 pack? If so, the LiPo 2S on order should fix that but I may poke around the ESC programming a bit and see if there's something there I can tweak. Then again, I haven't actually run it other than up on a block so my impression of speed may be off.

Last edited:
Looking good man. Great choice on the brushless system. Can't wait to see the videos :D.

She's coming along great! Let us know what you think of the brushless set up. I just added a little power to my TT01 and it's harder to control drifts.

Very nice.

She's coming along great! Let us know what you think of the brushless set up. I just added a little power to my TT01 and it's harder to control drifts.

What motor do you got?

Note to self:

When using acrylic-based paint, when they say use in a well-ventilated area, they aren't kidding. Either I'm high on paint fumes or my walls really *are* dancing.

I've got the lid mostly done. I'm gonna attack it with a hair dyer and lay a final back coat. Since I've got another lid coming (a Sylvia S-15 Drift) I decided to not wait for my magnets for the hidden body mounts on the 350Z Greddy body and will have it as a spare. Body post holes done, antenna hole done, ride height set. I was going to mask this one out but since it's a spare anyway I figured I'd just throw paint at it however I felt like. No masking or anything, I just winged this one freehand.

Once she's all dry tomorrow I'll pull the mask & covering and take some pics.

Last edited:
Sylvia...sweeeet.

Oh, get rid of those Tamiya connectors. Upgrade to Deans Ultra or even Traxxas high current.

Sylvia...sweeeet.

Oh, get rid of those Tamiya connectors. Upgrade to Deans Ultra or even Traxxas high current.

Oh I will. Right now it's just for the stick packs until I put in the 2S LiPo, at which point I'll pop in Deans.

I also went back and redid the soldering to a more solid bead. The temporary solder job was fugly :)

:O !

You were able to use the Tamiya plug with a regular stick pack? When I first used my Sidewinder the plug melted.

Keep us updated :D. Which brand is the Silvia body?

:O !

You were able to use the Tamiya plug with a regular stick pack? When I first used my Sidewinder the plug melted.

Keep us updated :D. Which brand is the Silvia body?

A Yokomo I picked up from genkidoridori.com

Here's some pics of the 350Z. Still waiting on my led light set before I pull the masks and do the headlights & tint the windows.

350z body1.jpg

350z body2.jpg

350z body3.jpg

Killer body Amoeba! Did the body come with headlight buckets or are you making some? I'm wanting to do my next body with lights but I want it to look realistic.

Killer body Amoeba! Did the body come with headlight buckets or are you making some? I'm wanting to do my next body with lights but I want it to look realistic.

Thanks. Apparently if I just get high on paint fumes and wing it my suckage at painting isn't so bad. It's when I am actively trying to do something specific it comes out looking like cat vomit.

The kit came with light buckets and a wing. They're even somewhat pre-canned so putting a light kit is relatively easy. The wing is pure crap so i picked up an aftermarket wing.

Thanks. I was really hoping you had a different answer for me, those buckets are hard to come by.