Hpi Savage Octane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, they just dont do anything for me. There is just something about Nitro and the sound and the size of the motor that makes it cool. I just dont think I would enjoy this as much.

I dunno, they just dont do anything for me. There is just something about Nitro and the sound and the size of the motor that makes it cool. I just dont think I would enjoy this as much.

The Losi engine is the same size as a nitro engine. I found this vid on youtube though looks like the problems have began!

Last edited by a moderator:
well, my problem with the octane is that its not truly Gasoline if you have to adjust needles like a nitro motor. a nitro block converted to gasoline is like the olds350 gas motor block converted to diesel....total JUNK! i dont have to mess with any needles on my weed-eater!

well, my problem with the octane is that its not truly Gasoline if you have to adjust needles like a nitro motor. a nitro block converted to gasoline is like the olds350 gas motor block converted to diesel....total JUNK! i dont have to mess with any needles on my weed-eater!

You do realize the carburetor in your tractor, weed eater, pickup truck, car, etc etc etc have needles too don't you?

Last I checked my pickup truck nor weed eater ran on nitro.

Wish I had a weed eater like yours. I have to play with the idle and carb on mine all the time. Pretty sure if it has a carb it's eventually going to need some adjustment.

I never play with the needles in my power-saw/or weed-eater, just the choke buttons, and the primer bulbs. The only way I could see them needing augmentation is if I change the altitude I was working the them at.

Are we sure the engine is the problem in the video and not that the transmission needs adjusting?

Last edited:
Are we sure the engine is the problem in the video and not that the transmission needs adjusting?

Tranny needs adjusting nothing wrong with the engine from the way it sounds the truck never shifts out of first gear but the engine sounds good.

Thats what I noticed, I think the power curve is slightly different, so using an unadjusted transmission could be his issue, but then again its new and it has to have the bugs driven out of it.

Last edited:
i dont need to adjust carbs on my weedeater, my ford pickup, my skidsteer, the 3 harleys my john deere tractor, my '65' gmc, the tahoe, lawnmower, or the power washer every time i start them up, just the nitros need that much attention and now i guess the octane savage
!

i dont need to adjust carbs on my weedeater, my ford pickup, my skidsteer, the 3 harleys my john deere tractor, my '65' gmc, the tahoe, lawnmower, or the power washer every time i start them up, just the nitros need that much attention and now i guess the octane savage
!

when i motor from a vehicles comes out of the factory, it is set at the right tune, the screws are just right, same as everything else, gas. these tiny motors are a tad different, you only REALLY need to tune these gassers one time for a wide variety of events, everything that has a carb can be adjusted and should be adjusted when you get them. just like buying a new carb for your big block or small block car, its better to tune a street driving car with a carb to get what you need. it is true gas. this truck has problems, its not all gas engines... and only reason they probably have problems is because HPI has never made gas engines, give it time. they will work out the kinks

if you listen to the guy he has owned 20 plus vehicles so he is the GURU LMAO at that cause he can't adjust a tranny to save his life and he is blaming the engine.

if you listen to the guy he has owned 20 plus vehicles so he is the GURU LMAO at that cause he can't adjust a tranny to save his life and he is blaming the engine.

I know right. I couldn't here it shifting at all. From some research online I am hearing a lot of guys are having to adjust there trans shift points right from the get go.

Last edited:
1/5th scale is ok. I got tired of packing my heavy 5b around to the bashing sites that was the only draw back for me. That and there to dang big for me to run in my yard. That's why I was excited for the HPI octane and the Losi XXL2. I really don't understand the big deal everyone's making out of having to tune there engine. I mean you don't need a perfect race tune every time you go out and run. As long as your running good you have a good temp usually only takes a me about 30 seconds to a min or so to find the decent tune. I mean really is it that freakin hard to do for people. I think these electric rigs just got most people so lazy anymore! Sorry for that comment that's just how I feel.

Last edited:
It doesn't shift because the the tune is way off. It sounded better when he fattened it up.

I gotta say this octane has sparked my interest for sure I do like my 5ive and ky Baja but living in the city it gets old soo packing em up will be easier at this size.... So ready to try it out

If the losi 5t and or 5b is too heavy time for the gym lol

Trust me bubba I don't need a gym I pack around H&G 02 tank cylinders all day at work. Do you or have you ever owned a 1/5th scaler? It just gets old having to carry the heavy assed rig around to get to the bash site. Before I moved into town I had plenty of room to fire it up and run it. A gasser the size of the savage would be great so I hope they get the bug worked out!

Last edited: