Hpi Savage Octane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blubbergutts

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just looking at uk based rc model shop (model sports) and that's advertising hpi octane for sale 25th April 2014 taking preorders now £749 , is this true I've heard so many lies and rumours about this truck?..

I would wait until closer to the release date before even thinking about pre-order. That truck was supposed to come out two years ago.

I would wait until closer to the release date before even thinking about pre-order. That truck was supposed to come out two years ago.

i remember when model sport had the truck listed for august/september 2013

OP the dates keep changing everywhere so just hold tight and wait for there is a official release date from HPI

That's true there's nothing on hpi about any release date.

XL Octane

That's true there's nothing on hpi about any release date.

No release date but at least there is a pic of it in the "garage" on HPI's site now. I ordered one from Tower back at the end of December, they had it on there site for about a week. They still have my order. On my customer page it says, invoiced, awaiting product from the manufacturer.
Steve;)

I gave up getting excited about the Octane and the Losi xxl2 I think there just toying with everyones mind LOL!

wasn't the XXL2 released?

---------- Post added at 9:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:32 AM ----------

guess not till june

Yes june in uk for losi,octane April according to model shops but that will change both cost to much in my opinion ..

Yes june in uk for losi,octane April according to model shops but that will change both cost to much in my opinion ..

I'll believe it when I see it. And I will def wait to see how performance reviews go. It would almost be worth the price to me just to have the luxury of stopping at the local gas pump for a couple gallon for a day of bashing. I am doubting the performance will be as good as nitro though, hope I am wrong.

Oil needs

Just an FYI, but since this little engine (be it HPI or the Losi), is a 2 stroke you will still need a GOOD 2 stroke oil.

Now from what I've read/researched, your basic dirt bike/snowmobile 2 stroke oil wont cut it (rc engine doing 20k to 30k rpms) so you'll need a special oil.

So now I pay $32 for nitro, this gas/oil combo will be at least $20-$25 per gallon. So the savings are there, just not as much as people think.

Peace

Just an FYI, but since this little engine (be it HPI or the Losi), is a 2 stroke you will still need a GOOD 2 stroke oil.

Now from what I've read/researched, your basic dirt bike/snowmobile 2 stroke oil wont cut it (rc engine doing 20k to 30k rpms) so you'll need a special oil.

So now I pay $32 for nitro, this gas/oil combo will be at least $20-$25 per gallon. So the savings are there, just not as much as people think.

Peace

thats one of the dumbest comments i have read

do you know the difference between gas and nitro engines and the RPM range difference, A nitro engine will run 20-50K RPM a petrol 2 stroke will do max 8-15K RPM especially in a RC vehicle,

yes a high end performance gas 2 stroke may reach 20-25K RPM but these RC engines won't reach anywhere near that

most of us are quite experienced in rc engines etc.

also being a petrol engine in the losi and hpi its not going to be doing 20-30K RPM it will be around the same as a gas weed wacker so 8-15K

normal gas 2 stroke will be fine in these engines they will probably run on a lower fuel to oil ratio like 25-1 etc, so it will be buyers preference to what 2 stroke oil they decide to use/prefer

just like in my weed wacker & disk cutter etc i use fully synthetic ( can't remember the brand right now )

Modelsport have now listed octane as end of May ,then at the end of May it will be june etc etc

No release date but at least there is a pic of it in the "garage" on HPI's site now. I ordered one from Tower back at the end of December, they had it on there site for about a week. They still have my order. On my customer page it says, invoiced, awaiting product from the manufacturer.
Steve;)

Ups just showed up with mine:)
There are a few for sale on eBay too
Steve

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the Octane.

Post pics and videos too! :D

had it running around the yard a little tonight just breaking it in..after i charged up the ignition battery. The servo battery came with a charge. Friday I should have time to take some pics and video.
Steve

I am not a savage fan but the more I look at this thing the more I want one

I am not a savage fan but the more I look at this thing the more I want one

I'm in the same boat. I'm undecided between this and the Losi gas model.
I have one Losi product and I love it. But I think I'll hang tight for a while and wait for the reviews on both models.

I was looking at the losi i can't make up my mind , they won't be out in oz for another 18 months lol