Hpi savage not going!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitric R/C

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i just recently bought a hpi savage 25 motor turns on and stays on but when i give it gas it accelerates but dosent go it seems like if i press the brake and gas at the same time, but when truck is off wheels turn freely, what could cause this to happen? every help will be gladly appreciated :)

Is the clutch good? Is the slipper on the spur gear tight enough?. After that I'm not sure what the issue would be. Need an opinion from from these more experienced savage heads out there lol.

you can't press the brake and gas at the same time but if it moves some and then it just locks up could be a tranny jssue but then it still wojldn free roll in reverse

When you installed the motor you adjusted the play between pinion and spur right? It shouldn't be pressed tight together...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 1:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:16 AM ----------

A common means is to slip a piece of paper between gears, press together slightly, tighten, roll paper out by turning flywheel. You want as close of a mesh as possible without having friction or grinding. Otherwise spur will be toast in no time is too loose, over tighten and you can cause worse problems.

yea i adjusted the play between pinion and spur exactly how you explained with a piece of paper. But definetly going to double check it again to be really positive i did it right. Meanwhile that I'm on that ill check the clutch as well.

i had the same issue, wheels would roll, engine would rev and it was a bad one way bearing the the tranny. picked one up and ran like new

It accelerates but doesn't move forward. NOT a tuning issue.
Bad clutch, bad or misadjusted slipper or a trans or drive train problem.

if it accelerates then it has to moving forward :hehe:.... do you mean it revs up and doesn't move?? I have had a slipper issue and it caused issues with the spur gear so I'm going with drive train issue

ok after following all the procedures that ya'll guys gave me and going over everything i found out that it was the airfilter on top the part u can see when its on was in great clean shape but the bottom of air filter was dirty, dissolving apart, and was creating a big enough ball that would block carb air filter inlet and wouldn let enough air go thru. So replaced air filter with a new and properly tuned it and now runs like a champ!!! Thanks for all ya'lls help if i it wasn't for all the different procedures that ya'll gave me to follow and check for i wouldn of never run into the real problem Thanks again!!!

Wow never would have guessed that one lol. Glad you got it going though!