Hpi savage as 25 nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
I'm having big problems with my truck the engine keeps getting stuck at tdc the truck I bought used but was used once by previous owner he realised it was not for a 8 year old and sold it to me I don't know if it was broke in properly the needle settings were all messed up so I reset them to factory setting but engine keeps getting stuck at tdc also the flywheel spins freely
Please help

If the flywheel spins freely you will have to pull out the engine, remove the clutchbell and tighten up the nut.
If the piston is getting stuck at TDC, try pre warming the engine with a heat gun or a hairdryer. Be careful if using a heat gun. Follow the break in procedure, keep it on the rich side.

Thanks for your advice I will.try what you have said

As above it probably still needs breaking in and tightening up by the sounds of it.

If you need the manual or exploded view pictures you can grab them from here: https://hpiracing.world/en/kits/CNPF
Thanks for the advice much appreciated I've tightened the flywheel nut that problem solved got the piston unstuck from tdc solved
Now realused oil or nitro leaking from back plate opened back plate off it was not sealed with anything hence leakING nitro oil from backplate will be sealing it with gasket sealer and then hopefully it will be ready to start fingers crossed thank you

I don't think the back plate has a seal on my car, maybe the screws just needed a turn.

Good luck with the starting, let it idle out the first tank or two and just make small adjustments to the fuel trim.

EDIT: Just checked in my manual and there should be one o-ring which looks more like it's for the starting shaft.

Last edited:
I don't think the back plate has a seal on my car, maybe the screws just needed a turn.

Good luck with the starting, let it idle out the first tank or two and just make small adjustments to the fuel trim.

EDIT: Just checked in my manual and there should be one o-ring which looks more like it's for the starting shaft.
Also when I took the flywheel off there was no brass collet so I've order one

Also when I took the flywheel off there was no brass collet so I've order one

Lol...that's probably one of the problems!....Stuff like that is what makes it hard to diagnose problems ,
especially over the forums with out any one having physical contact with the rc!...:eek:

Are you sure the collet is not stuck in the back of the flywheel? Nitro seeping is most likely because you are very rich on your settings. Is it possible that the engine was full of fuel and hydro locked?
This is all good experience for you. Enjoy the process.

Are you sure the collet is not stuck in the back of the flywheel? Nitro seeping is most likely because you are very rich on your settings. Is it possible that the engine was full of fuel and hydro locked?
This is all good experience for you. Enjoy the process.
Thanks for your advice yes the collet was stuck in the back of flywheel very true this is a learning curve for me I'm enjoying my self though love it

Well worked out Wat was wrong with the engine the bottom of the conrod was rubbing the crank case and has wrecked the engine cracking the crank case so I have now ordered a new engine as there's a hole in the crank case I mean the person who had this truck before me did not build this engine correctly but it's a learning curve for me I will be rebuilding the original engine as it just needs a new crank case I hope all these set backs amount to pure pleasure once I get this truck going

Cracked crank case explains the nitro leaking at the bottom of the truck and all the other problems I've encountered
Also any advice on breaking in my new engine wen it arrives it's only a cheap track star seg 28 engine I have read good reviews about this cheap engine
Any advice will be appreciated

Back