HPI Savage 25 steering

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leshill

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi There,

Got a HPI Savage 25 that I’ve not run for several years and I’m just starting to take it out again.

Noticed that when the tyres are on the ground the steering does not turn very much but when lift off the floor it turns perfect.

Under load the steering motor seems to be very strong but has I mentioned not with the wheels on the ground.

car is fitted with a new battery pack that is actually rated at 6800 mh so should be more than enough battery power.

All three Servos were replaced years ago with strong non HPI units has was a reverse gear and a chrome tail pipe added.

I’m not sure if the current steering operation is normal when car is not moving forward or if I need to take a look at the servos again.

Can somebody maybe confirm pls?

Thanks in advanced.

Les.

Did you do an electric conversion on a Savage 25? I had a 25 years ago very briefly.

What steering servo are you using? It could be the servo saver as well.
Hi there,

TowerPro MG995 9.4KG/0.16 60Degree. Old servo was 7.1KG/0.23 60Degree.

Was thinking about putting in a DS3225 SG 25kg HIGH-SPEED Speed: 0.1S/60° @5V, 0.08S/60° @6V and 0.07S/60° @7.4V

That would be like 3x current Torque which i would have thought would more than do the job in hand.

Les.

why r you going to put a 180 degree sweep servo on a rc that you only need 60 ?. does you radio have setting that allow you to limit servo travel?

My 25 had the same issue. They are heavy and if you are still using the stock soft tires it really takes a strong servo to move fully lock to lock while on the ground. As mentioned, the servo saver needs to be in good shape too. Make sure it isn't giving in too easily before the tires move.