hpi rs4 3 evo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M3RC1L3SS

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
sup people, I'm new here and just getting into the nitro rc
so i got a question.
i just got a hpi rs4 3 evo but from who i got it from last time he used it
he didnt put oil, he just left it with fuel in it.
can that damage the engine?? if yes can it be fixed or should i get a new one??
thanks in advance

it can corrode the insides and gel up the fuel lines. but have you tried to run it yet?
i got a thunder tiger that had gelled up just rinsed out the fuel lines and tank and ran the engine with new fuel started up rough and ran well after 10 mins.
i have the same car as yours.
something to watch out for... see that engine block and the screws underneath.make sure to use threadlock on the four engine mounting screws because they will vibrate themselves loose no matter how tight you tighen them. and when they start coming loose they move the engine's position which gets the spur gear all chewed up. threadlock the engine screws in place.

I'm going to try to run it to see what happens,
let u know how it goes , thanks for the reply and the tip

Last edited:
Remove the glow plug and rotate the flywheel so that the piston is at the bottom of the engine (BDC). Then take a paint pen or sharpie and place a mark on the flywheel in the opening in the deck. This way, once you run the car you can always set the piston at the bottom of the engine so that it doesn't wear out the "pinch" in the engine sleeve prematurely.

As for no ARO (after run oil) if its only sat for a month or so it's most likely fine. I had to pull the head off of my Savage one time to clean the moisture created crud in the chamber. Now they all get ARO, a couple of engine cycles on the piston, and then the piston put at BDC.

HTH...
Mark

Spray some WD40 down in the piston and work it loose. If you have a heat gun, heat the motor and try to turn it with the fly wheel

Thanks all of u for the advice, i try them but it didnt want to start so
I took the engine apart and guest what rust everywhere soooo i guest is time
For a new one :D
What engine u guys think should get??

Last edited:
Well the t3.0 nitro star is the engine that came with the car. That translates here to everyone else as an .18 block it's no slouch of an engine. Are you lookin to race with it or just have a good laugh? The t3.0 will do 60mph straight out of the box. I've never managed to get it to top speed because its already time to start jammin on the brakes it's shot across the car park so fast. It can cover 100 meters under 10 seconds so unless you live near a runway i wouldnt go any bigger lol.
A three pin flywheel with steel clutch shoes would be a good upgrade.:first_place:

yeah I'm just trying to have a good laugh with it, and beat a couple of friends lol
So should i just keep the t3.0?? Can i rebuild mine or should i just buy the
Same one?? Thanks

Are you in the US? If so, HPI has a trade-in program and you can get a stock replacement relatively cheap. Sure there are plenty of power upgrade options on the hobby store shelf, but with the stock engine it'll bolt right in without having to deal with conversion mounts, different flywheel, etc.

Just a thought.

yes i am i will check that out thanks

mustang has the right of it. a trade in would be a good idea. as the rs4 is a rtr kit and the engine mounting position is not variable. this is for simplicity and makes it near impossible to set an incorrect gear mesh. but if you were to get another engine you would have to gst an engine mounting plate or some kind of adapter. not alot of work but you will end up having to shop around and do research on what works with what. much easier tk do the trade in. normally when the engine goes bad you can put some marvel mystery oil in and clean it out and replace the crankshaft, piston, sleeve, piston rod but that is almost the cost of a new engine and kinda jumpin into the deep end of the hobby too soon lol. engine replacement is your best choice.
we dont have a engine trade in factility in ireland we dont even have shops that sell the engine ya'd want. jealous :\