HPI Paper exhaust gaskets?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echelon6

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Whats with the paper exhaust gaskets which are used for the RS4?

I put one in yesterday and after 2 runs they dissolve from all the hot nitro exhaust fumes and then my manifold starts leaking nitro all over the mill

Am I supposed to go through one every 2 days? Can I use RTV instead for a more permanent solution?

Whats with the paper exhaust gaskets which are used for the RS4?

I put one in yesterday and after 2 runs they dissolve from all the hot nitro exhaust fumes and then my manifold starts leaking nitro all over the mill

Am I supposed to go through one every 2 days? Can I use RTV instead for a more permanent solution?

I have seen the gaskets you are referring to and they do work. To be quite honest it sounds like you are running way too rich. It is raw fuel soaking thru the gasket eating it away. If you are leaking that much fuel it will eat away the RTV as well.

you can pick up some normal gaskets for the RS4 at your lhs. I've never seen paper gaskets for them before. http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/A875/ HPI part #A875

These are the same gaskets. They are like pressed paper layers with a wax coating. I probably am not describing them correctly but that is basically what they are. Kinda like the old fashioned 1:1 rig head gaskets without the metal ring around the cylinders... Better yet like a thermostat housing gasket!

Last edited:
I have seen the gaskets you are refering to and they do work. To be quite honest it sounds like you are running way too rich. It is raw fuel soaking thru the gasket eating it away. If you are leaking that much fuel it will eat away the RTV as well.

These are the same gaskets. They are like pressed paper layers with a wax coating. I probably am not describing them correctly but that is basically what they are. Kinda like the old fashioned 1:1 rig head gaskets without the metal ring around the cylinders... Better yet like a thermostat housing gasket!
Agreed on the rich setting. I prefer High temp RTV silicone.

got it. I just have never had a problem with them so I thought he was describing something different.

I don't think I was running too rich while I was running fine. Problems started after the paper gasket disintegrated after a few good runs

but while it was running fine, the exhaust never spit. Also I was always on the brink of it crawling, hence I'd say at least the LSN is leaned fine. The HSN however, well I like to keep it a LITTLE rich. Smoke comes out when I accelerate, and my glowplug is damp after a run if I take it out and have a look.

But other than that, the exhaust never once spits liquid fuel, so I don't think there's liquid fuel coming out of the exhaust which is destroying my paper gaskets.

Argh... contemplating cutting out a gasket myself from a coke can ><

edit: actually this is sorta a continuation from my other thread where I'm having problems keeping a tune. Thought I'd make a new thread since this is strictly a gasket issue now

but now I wonder, if the paper gaskets are disintegrating and they aren't supposed to, then maybe I should lean out something out, right?

Now but if I lean my LSN any more, the pinch test would be 1 second, my idle speed would be so high my car crawls, and engine temps get to 260 from hot laps.

If I lean my HSN any more, I can't start the car (Don't know why! HSN isn't supposed to have anything to do with starting the car to my knowledge)

>< frustrations...

Back