hpi firestorm 10t starting issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pritchard-13

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all I'm new to all this so go easy on me :) warning in advance I'm thick! :) haha

basicly I brought a firestorm 10t and can't get it started the guy I brought it from showed me jt started at his house took a while but when it started it reved right up and tryed taking off then died.. I said I see it starrts lol then went on my way tryed starting it today and does what it was doing at his house dosent want to fire up but when it does after a lot of arm ache and a few naughty words it revs up like made and trys takin off then dies any help would be great i have no idea on tunning ect but somthing it love to learn save me paying model shops to do them for me! I'm on my 2nd savage and 2nd firestorm

Set the needles to the factory setting, which is flush. Then make sure you get the engine primed. Should start pretty quick.

What needles are there? All I see is the top one wich I think is the high speed?

Set the needles to the factory setting, which is flush. Then make sure you get the engine primed. Should start pretty quick.

There is also a low speed needle. It's right under the high speed facing the rear of the truck.

Hopefully you have a manual but if you don't, youtube will give you a great look at it. Also hpiracing.com will have the manual on their site.

Thanks ill give it a go tomorrow and report back

I do not have a manuel I did try finding one on hpi but couldent find one

If you google you type of r/c with the word manual most of the time the PDF is the first thing that pops up. That's how I get all my manuals, and I keep them all on my iPad mini. No more than a tap away.

Ok so I managed to get it running runs pretty sell actuly does any one know how many turns todo from flush to tune it well ect? It runs good but bogs a little and engine pretty warm but not sure how warm they shud be I done the spit test but it dont sizzle lol

If the spit doesn't sizzle you're too rich. It should sizzle and evaporate within a few seconds...If the spit immediately bounces off the cooling fin you're too hot/lean.

How do I solve that? High speed needle? Also a pain to start again now wen it was warm it was easy to start on the first pull? Just trying to teach my self how to tune ect

If the spit doesn't sizzle you're too rich. It should sizzle and evaporate within a few seconds...If the spit immediately bounces off the cooling fin you're too hot/lean.

---------- Post added at 5:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:30 PM ----------

I forgot to mention after running it erlier theres a lot of oil in the exhaust pipe like dripping out

Lean out the high speed needle a touch to solve the bogging, mine did the same thing.

Also, change the glow plug. Mine was junk pretty quick. The new one has been fine since. Made starting a pain.

One other thing to check, exhaust manifold bolts. Mine were coming loose shortly after break in (bought it new RTR). No exhaust pressure, no fuel pressure.

Ill stick a new glow plug in later and ill fiddle with some screws to see if it will start my old firestorm start first pull with out fail and a guy I new tunned it so well for me it run perfect but he has now moved damn it lol

Lean out the high speed needle a touch to solve the bogging, mine did the same thing.

Also, change the glow plug. Mine was junk pretty quick. The new one has been fine since. Made starting a pain.

One other thing to check, exhaust manifold bolts. Mine were coming loose shortly after break in (bought it new RTR). No exhaust pressure, no fuel pressure.

best thing is to watch a few tuning videos on youtube. I would get a temp gauge to just get a idea of how hot you are. You want to do a few faster speed runs, then check the temp. After a few runs if you find you are to hot rich the high speed needle if there is a lot of blue smoke and lots of fuel/oil coming out of the tune pipe i would lean it a tad. Do small changes and then run your rc back and forth to check your new needle changes. For the low do some speed runs bring the rc to a stop . There is 2 ways you can pinch test that is where you pinch the fuel line that that goes in to the carb near the high speed needle about a few inchs away and if the motor speeds up and then dies with in 2-4 seconds its good. If you want you can bring it in and wait 5-10 seconds and punch the gas if it takes off fast its set good . You really should go watch a few videos, such as how the linkage is set and i would check the glow plug. After you run your rc you want to see some oil on the bottom of the plug. I would go with 20 percent fuel and a hot glow plug. When you go to start your rc you need to get fuel to the motor. You can put your finger over the tune pipe and pull the pull starter tell you see it go to the carb then stop. And pull it one time with out your finger on the tune pipe. Use a fully charged or good working D or C battery glow starter and it should start with in a few pulls. Some times you need to give it little throttle to get it going. If its cold out side you want to run a tad rich on the low/high end . If your motor is cold lets say its like 30 deg and its cold out side it could be hard to start your motor. Some guys heat the motor up before hand to get it up to 100deg or so to get it nice and warm and this makes it easier to start. Extra glow plugs, fresh fuel and fresh batteries and having things charged saves time . Make sure all screws are tight and you want a .7 to 1mm gap for your carb. I have bought a few used rc and i tell ya you take on what some one was doing wrong or right. Most of the time its wrong, i have got lucky maybe one time.

Thanks for that :) some good info! My rc boggs if I take off fast it boggs then takes of can't get it to wheelie tho :( my old one did lol ill give it ago tomorrow thanks :)

best thing is to watch a few tuning videos on youtube. I would get a temp gauge to just get a idea of how hot you are. You want to do a few faster speed runs, then check the temp. After a few runs if you find you are to hot rich the high speed needle if there is a lot of blue smoke and lots of fuel/oil coming out of the tune pipe i would lean it a tad. Do small changes and then run your rc back and forth to check your new needle changes. For the low do some speed runs bring the rc to a stop . There is 2 ways you can pinch test that is where you pinch the fuel line that that goes in to the carb near the high speed needle about a few inchs away and if the motor speeds up and then dies with in 2-4 seconds its good. If you want you can bring it in and wait 5-10 seconds and punch the gas if it takes off fast its set good . You really should go watch a few videos, such as how the linkage is set and i would check the glow plug. After you run your rc you want to see some oil on the bottom of the plug. I would go with 20 percent fuel and a hot glow plug. When you go to start your rc you need to get fuel to the motor. You can put your finger over the tune pipe and pull the pull starter tell you see it go to the carb then stop. And pull it one time with out your finger on the tune pipe. Use a fully charged or good working D or C battery glow starter and it should start with in a few pulls. Some times you need to give it little throttle to get it going. If its cold out side you want to run a tad rich on the low/high end . If your motor is cold lets say its like 30 deg and its cold out side it could be hard to start your motor. Some guys heat the motor up before hand to get it up to 100deg or so to get it nice and warm and this makes it easier to start. Extra glow plugs, fresh fuel and fresh batteries and having things charged saves time . Make sure all screws are tight and you want a .7 to 1mm gap for your carb. I have bought a few used rc and i tell ya you take on what some one was doing wrong or right. Most of the time its wrong, i have got lucky maybe one time.

Thanks for that :) some good info! My rc boggs if I take off fast it boggs then takes of can't get it to wheelie tho :( my old one did lol ill give it ago tomorrow thanks :)

Good luck,just get the motor back to factory specs. It should be rich so if its really cold where you live it should not take much leaning to dial it in. You really need to just watch a video and go from there. Seams like everyone has there way to dial in there motor . Check your glow plug after you run a tank or try to lol. I all ways check to see if i am running to lean or rich. It is something that is over looked and when you are done for the day set your piston to the bottom . You just pull out the glow plug and pull your chord a few times tell the you see the piston all the way down. Get extra glow plugs , may i ask what fuel you have and what % is it and the glow plug can you tell me what you are using? I use 20 percent with my small blocks with a hot plug. I all ways have a few on hand i say at least 3 new ones should all ways be on hand.

Its not very cold were I live in england its about 8degree I'm not sure what glow plugs I have in my savage x and firestorm I'm still using what they came with lol they still glow nice savage is a pain to start it seems like it likes to flood alot ill set the firestorm back to factory settings and give it a go at tunning it when the rain stops lol my fuel is 20% and 16% agan what the cars came with but I've been using the 20% as was told 16% is rubbish how can you tell if your running rich or lean by looking at the glow plug? By if its oily or dry? What plugs and fuel would you reccomend I use for good performance? Also my savage x has a 4.1 engine not the 4.6 how can I tell if its a 3 speed box by looking?

Good luck,just get the motor back to factory specs. It should be rich so if its really cold where you live it should not take much leaning to dial it in. You really need to just watch a video and go from there. Seams like everyone has there way to dial in there motor . Check your glow plug after you run a tank or try to lol. I all ways check to see if i am running to lean or rich. It is something that is over looked and when you are done for the day set your piston to the bottom . You just pull out the glow plug and pull your chord a few times tell the you see the piston all the way down. Get extra glow plugs , may i ask what fuel you have and what % is it and the glow plug can you tell me what you are using? I use 20 percent with my small blocks with a hot plug. I all ways have a few on hand i say at least 3 new ones should all ways be on hand.

Back