HPI 2 speed problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joneser4u

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
my 2 speed on my type3ss has always been great, until yesterday? I ported my exhaust header and took it out for a trial run,at first all was fine then I noticed that my tranny was up shifting fine but when i slowed down and got back on the gas, it was wanting to stay in 2nd gear?? My idle speed was a tad high so I brought it over to slow it and when I took off again it never shifted into 2nd gear??? I keep my car extra clean,you can see in my gallery the car stays like that after every outing the first thing I do when I get home is yank the radio tray,gas tank and sometimes the engine and completely clean everthing.I've heard the clutch in a 2speed is really sensitive to dirt,and I've never tore down my tranny to clean it,I figured I kept it clean enough.could this be my problem or is the clutch in the 2speed a part that is going to frequently wear out???

is it possible that the shift point is set at too low an rpm, and u are not slowing enough to let it downshift? most tranny's shift pretty reliable, so maintanence shouldnt be too much of the problem. i would say to loosen it up so it stays in first, then gradually tighten it until it shifts at a happy RPM, see if that works before u pull everything for inspection. I've never had this problem before on either of my touring cars, so i am at a bit of a loss.

loosen it up so it stays in first?? Don't you mean tighten it down and the start backing it out till it shifts to 2nd?? That's usually how most 2 speeds work.. Anyway, that's what I would try as well. The adjustment screw may have backed it's way out. If it's stuck in 1st, check the set screw....

Hey, check the two speed unit its self. Make sure that the spring isn't to tight and it has pushed the ball and wedged it to far into the two speed rocking lever. It happened to me last year.
Take it all apart and re-do it from the start. You will find the problem then. The two speed unit might be spinning on the centre shaft to. (also happened to me cause the set screw came out.
Peter
Regards...

Originally posted by Mugen-Racer
loosen it up so it stays in first?? Don't you mean tighten it down and the start backing it out till it shifts to 2nd?? That's usually how most 2 speeds work.. Anyway, that's what I would try as well. The adjustment screw may have backed it's way out. If it's stuck in 1st, check the set screw....

that is correct, mugen - i want thinking straight when i said that - please disregard my last statement, and follow the correct statement by mugen

ok the set screw for the shift point was not tightend up too much, in fact if i loosen it up to shift i would probably loose the set screw. could the spring be bad??

hey somers the set skrew that holds the shift part to the shaft had backed out thanks for the help!

No problem, it happened to me to. I knew that was the problem. Use green penetrating lock tight. Put the screw in and have it where you want it and then put the lock tight in, it seaps into place.
Glad I could help.
Peter