How to tell if hpi baja motor has good compression

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sAvageXl

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys,
just seeking the help of more experienced people out there, and I wanted to know ways to test and know whether or not a motor has good compression. My dads old baja has been sitting around for quite a while now and he used to drive it pretty hard i.e: emptying the tank at full throttle. I took it out the other day and opened the engine up. Everything seems nice and clean and coated in oil, but the piston had a bit of carbon buildup on the top. Is this normal and how should I test for good compression. Thanks a bunch.

Hi guys,
just seeking the help of more experienced people out there, and I wanted to know ways to test and know whether or not a motor has good compression. My dads old baja has been sitting around for quite a while now and he used to drive it pretty hard i.e: emptying the tank at full throttle. I took it out the other day and opened the engine up. Everything seems nice and clean and coated in oil, but the piston had a bit of carbon buildup on the top. Is this normal and how should I test for good compression. Thanks a bunch.

Carbon build up is normal for a two stroke that has an oil mixture in the gas , I wouldnt
check for compression ,best way is to run it!..👍😎

Carbon build up is normal for a two stroke that has an oil mixture in the gas , I wouldnt
check for compression ,best way is to run it!..👍😎
yeah I thought so, just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help and she still rips btw, even on old fuel as I've just discovered.

Back