How to paint bodies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a ton of videos on youtube that show you how to paint a Rc body. Choosing the right paint is the most important part.
Just any hardware store can of spray paint will flake in no time. Polycarbonate is what you need to paint a body. Prep is another important step but that will be shown in the videos.
Tamiya paint is a good start and they have decent color choices.
Paint the inside of the body.

Make sure its lexan or polycarbonate paint.

Very important. Make sure while searching the internet, before you hit the ORDER button, that is says polycarbonate/lexan plastic paint. Sometimes, search results will wander off to unsuitable paints that look like what your original search result was, possibly made by the same company. Just do a final check before ordering, and check the can/bottle before applying.
I like to cut the excess plastic before painting to avoid chipping the edges.
Also use Dawn dish soap and water to thoroughly scrub the inside with a soft sponge then rinse with clean water, then dry with lint free towel or chamois before painting.
I use "picture glue to put the decals on from inside, and do this after washing, but before painting. But that's just me.
I like to leave the protective film on until I have done all of the work, painting, light fitting, ect.
I have used nail polish to hand paint details inside, as it has the same flexible porperties of lexan/polycarbonate paint.

Last edited:
I use airbrush paints for my bodies. This is Createx paint.
20211224_185703.jpg

20211224_185654.jpg

20211225_055026.jpg

20211225_055101.jpg
20211227_142241.jpg

It is a little harder to work with the Createx paints because you have to layer it on in very light coats to get it to stick properly. But it works great.

Another brand I use that is specifically designed for poly bodies is Parma Faskolor. They don't have a very big selection like Createx does, but their paints work on both lexan and styrene bodies very well.
20210827_071746.jpg
20210827_071803.jpg

I'm not an artist like that, but I can proudly say I have never had a bonding issue with my paint. I can stick light bars and wire holders to the inside painted surface with water pump glue, and never had anything fall off.
Light coats is key.
I am only bragging about my prep work. Yes, patience is the other thing to have.
If I want a pearl ghost flame job, I'm callin' you, Foggy.
Some of my work is under the thread " Bodies by Heisenburg "

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I guess because this is a begginer painter thread, I should have added that I find the airbrush to actually be a better way to paint vs rattle cans. With rattle cans, it's kinda hard to do nice even light coats, which as Heisenburg stated is pretty key. You want the first coat to be just a light dusting, and barely visible (depending on the paint color). I stay light with my second and third coats too. Then I go back with a final coat, making sure no light areas are visible when I hold the body up to light. A lot if times I will go back with some touching up of light areas.

With an airbrush, it is also much easier to get paint into the tight corners in the body. Since these bodies need to be painted on the inside, it's really hard for a rattle can to get paint into these tight areas without getting too heavy in the surrounding areas.

For better adhesion, you can lightly scuff the inside of the body with a scotchbrite pad, like the green/yellow kitchen sponges. Try to keep from dulling the finish too much, as it can mute your colors slightly if you go too heavy.

Thanks everyone my body is dead when I was bashing it yesterday the whole rear quarter panel ripped off and I need a better body I’m thinking this one but it depends on what the hobby shop has https://www.amainhobbies.com/jconcepts-slash-4x4-scalpel-1972-chevy-c10-body-jco0267/p298330
Chevy C-10 is a good choice to begin with. First off, it is a classic body style. Second, it is easy to paint. Like painting the inside of a box. No hard to get to nooks or crannies. Lots of space to fit window masks. See you have a set of curved scissors hanging off your pegboard in your workbench vid. Good. You'll need those for cut and trim.

Being a longtime fan of Road Warrior type cars, rccar4life pegged the inner you. For sure be something to consider once you get your feet on the ground with a basic paint job or three.

Cheers. 'AC'

Addict Rc

i belive you are a bad ass hardcore driver.
Seen your crash, burnouts.

You drive HARD, you are Hardcore.

You deserve the best coolest body

Like this
View attachment 149468

Matte black paint.
This body is you. Cool and Badass.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/jconcepts-slash-4x4-scalpel-speed-run-illuzion-body-jco0240/p241226

Love to see you paint this body and do burnouts
I would but I’m doing a speed run when I do another slash or re convert it back to off-road I’ll buy this

Addict Rc

i belive you are a bad ass hardcore driver.
Seen your crash, burnouts.

You drive HARD, you are Hardcore.

You deserve the best coolest body

Like this
View attachment 149468

Matte black paint.
This body is you. Cool and Badass.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/jconcepts-slash-4x4-scalpel-speed-run-illuzion-body-jco0240/p241226

Love to see you paint this body and do burnouts
Matte black paint is only useful if you spray the outside of the body. You are far better off to just paint with regular gloss black on the inside, then scotchbrite the chit out of the outside and cover with a coat of matte clear to achieve a matte finish.

Interested in seeing how Traxxas paints do. I've used Tamiya, Faskolor, Pactra, Spazstix and a few others. Now that I'm looking back, I spent over 1k on bodies and paint. 😂🤣

I've used metallic black on a few bodies. Interesting "treat".

I use airbrush paints for my bodies. This is Createx paint.
View attachment 149439
View attachment 149441
View attachment 149438
View attachment 149442View attachment 149440
It is a little harder to work with the Createx paints because you have to layer it on in very light coats to get it to stick properly. But it works great.

Another brand I use that is specifically designed for poly bodies is Parma Faskolor. They don't have a very big selection like Createx does, but their paints work on both lexan and styrene bodies very well.
View attachment 149446View attachment 149447
The only thing i painted was my tamiya lunchbox.