how durable is the T maxx and is it worth it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animeweeb

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
hey guys i was wondering is a T maxx 3.3 worth it? i been watching some videos on it alot of people have said they had issues with the T maxx like connecting rod keeps breaking bulk heads aren't strong engine breaking and someone said that if your gonna be buying a T maxx it's a money pit so i was just wondering if a T maxx is still good and durable compared to todays monster trucks

Look up gokartking45 on youtube. Insane tmaxx stunts. Keep in mind landing at a downward slope is easier on the truck the flat or an inclined slope.

Been a few years since I drove mine. 2.5 and 3.3 motors. I love the size of it. I never jumped mine, just a few cart wheels and flips.

Traxxas tmaxx did have a weak point in the bulk. Some went aluminum. The conrod is a 3.3 engine. I'm sure some is from poor tuning, but some supposed good tuners have issues with it. Some recommend davis diesel rod to fix the issue. I'm still researching the davis rod.

As far as money pit, they all are. Some worse then others, some because of how they were driven.

https://m.youtube.com/user/gokartking45

Last edited:
hey guys i was wondering is a T maxx 3.3 worth it? i been watching some videos on it alot of people have said they had issues with the T maxx like connecting rod keeps breaking bulk heads aren't strong engine breaking and someone said that if your gonna be buying a T maxx it's a money pit so i was just wondering if a T maxx is still good and durable compared to todays monster trucks
hpi savage if not revo is better.

hpi savage if not revo is better.
I never had a savage. I almost bought the pink and yellow 4.6 some years ago but never was able as I got injured and had to take care of that.

The only issue I have with hpi now is parts avaliability Everyone says its hard to find hpi parts. I havent been in a hobby shop in years really so I'm not sure.

The revo I've heard handles great with great shock travel. Back to the 3.3 issue again, as well as the reverse module seems to be a hit or miss.

I'm assuming all 3 trucks should have great aftermarket support, maybe not so much on the tmaxx now.

They all have weak points that are going to break if driven hard or sent regularly. Traxxas has great after market support. Thats the main thing that matters when buying a kit.

Savages were known to be really tough out of the box but they break too and parts support aint what it used to be so check around for parts availability before buying HPI right now.

I LOVE MY TMAXX 3.3. I have them both 2.5 , 3.3. The 2.5 since the early 2000s .and the 3.3 i built from chassis up.The durability of the truck is as good as the driver is LOL. Any bulk will break if you hit walls or dirt from a jump. At full speed or bad angle. I have used both aluminum and plastic and broke both. But the plastic parts are way cheaper and there's parts if your bashing that will probably always break.The connecting rod in the motor never had a problem with either. Might have been some bad tunning "LEAN" or bad fuel less oil or NO motor after care.Probably can happen but I haven't had that problem. Lots of OEM / aftermarket parts as well as traxxas service support. The HPI savage haven't had one wanted one. But finding parts these days might be HARD TO FIND. The REVO 3.3 is a bad little truggy not so much monster truck IMO. Great truck though tough as nails. And it can break nothing is UNBREAKABLE. Also a traxxas. It really comes down to personal preference bud. And when buying / building always want to look up parts availability. Or you can lot of $$ on something you can't real find parts for. Then have a very expensive paper weighI love my NITRO MAXXs. I hope this helps you and happy RCing bu. No matter what the car /truck you get. The hobby as a whole can get very expensive/ addicting can ask any RC enthusiasts. In this forum. By the way these are my aluminum blues broke the shock tower tab.
16259216783213601495892331338799.jpg
16259217270854429209360671967237.jpg
16259217904908899330126397688023.jpg

Post automatically merged:

??? are you looking for your FIRST RC? Are you just starting into the hobby? Or you looking to get just a new different RC?

Last edited:
I LOVE MY TMAXX 3.3. I have them both 2.5 , 3.3. The 2.5 since the early 2000s .and the 3.3 i built from chassis up.The durability of the truck is as good as the driver is LOL. Any bulk will break if you hit walls or dirt from a jump. At full speed or bad angle. I have used both aluminum and plastic and broke both. But the plastic parts are way cheaper and there's parts if your bashing that will probably always break.The connecting rod in the motor never had a problem with either. Might have been some bad tunning "LEAN" or bad fuel less oil or NO motor after care.Probably can happen but I haven't had that problem. Lots of OEM / aftermarket parts as well as traxxas service support. The HPI savage haven't had one wanted one. But finding parts these days might be HARD TO FIND. The REVO 3.3 is a bad little truggy not so much monster truck IMO. Great truck though tough as nails. And it can break nothing is UNBREAKABLE. Also a traxxas. It really comes down to personal preference bud. And when buying / building always want to look up parts availability. Or you can lot of $$ on something you can't real find parts for. Then have a very expensive paper weighI love my NITRO MAXXs. I hope this helps you and happy RCing bu. No matter what the car /truck you get. The hobby as a whole can get very expensive/ addicting can ask any RC enthusiasts. In this forum. By the way these are my aluminum blues broke the shock tower tab.View attachment 129361View attachment 129362View attachment 129363
Post automatically merged:

??? are you looking for your FIRST RC? Are you just starting into the hobby? Or you looking to get just a new different RC?
i play electric never had a nitro and i am just looking for my first nitro car

i play electric never had a nitro and i am just looking for my first nitro car
Nice well I love my 3.3 easy to work on. Even building a electric maxx because they don't make them any more with all the parts I had laying around besides esc and motor
16259526479183681800659016981612.jpg

Nice well I love my 3.3 easy to work on. Even building a electric maxx because they don't make them any more with all the parts I had laying around besides esc and motor View attachment 129384
Well some like chocolate some like vanilla as they say. I like the Savage better I mean everybody has their opinions. I have to say nice electric conversion of the T-maxx.

Also don't forget if your using a local hobby store for parts see what they have available . Many years ago when I got into the hobby my LHS only had Traxxas stuff .. they could get some HPI stuff but not much ( at the time ) . If you have a good online parts place ( most do in this day and age ) then no worries . Nothing is worse than breaking something you can't get for weeks/months .

Back