How can I attach an ESC fan to my air filter

• Thread starter gavinthercman12
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinthercman12

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone if anyone could help me figure out how to hook up an esc cooling fan to my air filter, anything would help.

i guess I'm curious why you are wanting to do this? what is the vehicle and what is the air filter you are using on the vehicle?

i was wondering where to plug it in

i guess I'm curious why you are wanting to do this? what is the vehicle and what is the air filter you are using on the vehicle?
i am wanting to do this so i can gain torque. the vehicle is a redcat racing tsunami epx and i dont know what air filter it is. all i know about the air filter is that it is one where the filter goes inside it.

so you are going for a turbocharger effect then? you should be able to plug it directly into the receiver in an aux channel. i really dont think you will get very much gain from doing this, esc fans are typically blower fans, not pusher fans. they are going to have good cfm but the PSI may not be enough. to get any gain you are going to want it sealed from the fan to the air filter.( ie no other route that air can take besides in.) but the issue with this is that if the fan can't push enough air through its going to restrict the air flow going in.
i am not at all trying to dissuade you in any way, custom stuff is half if not more of the fun in this hobby, just letting you know what you are up against.
that said, it is going to be a custom set up,
one option would be to get something like a small piece of pvc (perhaps an inch or two long) that the filter housing can sit in like a sleeve, (not to tight to compress it a bunch but snug) , and make a plate on the end to mount the cooling fan.
also you are going to want some sort of pre-filter as well. with exterior forced air flow its going to shove dirt/debris into the air filter from the outside as well as pulling from the inside.

ok how would a cooling blower fan work. cause as you said it would be more difficult

ok how would a cooling blower fan work. cause as you said it would be more difficult
blower fans and pusher fans are just different types of fans, either way of utilizing a fan would be done in the same way, but a pusher fan would give better air pressure to the engine.

Oh man, so a home made version of the nitro supercharger then huh? It's your rig, so feel free to do as you wish. But all you'll get in return is tuning headaches, and no real power increase whatsoever. Even the expensive supercharger kits have been proven to be 100% ineffective on these small nitro mills. Main reason being, in real cars forced induction works because the engine management system detects the increase in manifold pressure and greatly richens up the fuel mixture accordingly. If you have more air coming in, you have to increase the fuel charge with it or else you just get detonation due to running extremely lean from all the increased air flow. Not to mention, as someone else already pointed out, an ESC fan isn't designed for this and won't have enough CFM for any gains.

Oh man, so a home made version of the nitro supercharger then huh? It's your rig, so feel free to do as you wish. But all you'll get in return is tuning headaches, and no real power increase whatsoever. Even the expensive supercharger kits have been proven to be 100% ineffective on these small nitro mills. Main reason being, in real cars forced induction works because the engine management system detects the increase in manifold pressure and greatly richens up the fuel mixture accordingly. If you have more air coming in, you have to increase the fuel charge with it or else you just get detonation due to running extremely lean from all the increased air flow. Not to mention, as someone else already pointed out, an ESC fan isn't designed for this and won't have enough CFM for any gains.
ok. but I've researched it and a fan in front of your air filter will do something

while i do agree with most of what you are saying if done right, you may gain a little, and i do mean "a little", for the only reason in this case because it will be a constant increase in air intake, not a variable increase driven off engine RPM so tuning may be easier, but it will be nowhere near as optimized as when it is controlled by an engine management system.
and that the timing advance for detonation wouldn't be able to be optimized
depending on what carb it is, some people will bore the carb throat to a larger diameter, i wont pretend to know what diameter is optimal and or if it would even be a limiting factor on that engine.
also if it is too large it can hurt performance.

ok. but I've researched it and a fan in front of your air filter will do something
in theory yes, but in practice, results are very less practical especially in this small of a 2 stroke, non engine management controlled situation.
that said more power to you if you do it and get performance gains and i would be interested to see the results. never know until you try.
another option you could look into is a "cold air intake" mod, it entails getting a longer air intake boot to move the air filter further away from the engine. those gains also have been pretty controversial.

watch that video and you will see where I get it from

if you people don't think its the best idea to put the cooling fan on. then how can I gain more torque without spending a ton of money

not going to lie there was alot of talk, not any validation, if he posted actual engine results i would not be as skeptical, but the fact that there is not any proof, even a comparison video would be better for like for like passes for set distances.
there is no forced direction of airflow and air is going to take the easiest route, its going to just mainly flow around the filter. with very little difference of forced air induction.
as far as performance mods, probably the best course of action would be to not use that kind of air filter that he told you to use in the video, get the one that he was talking about removing. more filament surface area=more air flow.
another would be to get a tuned pipe complimentary to your engine.
i can't guarantee they would fit but apparently it fits on the shockwave which is just the more buggy version of yours.
something similar to this :
https://www.amazon.com/HSP-Aluminum-Exhaust-Tuned-Pipe-Manifold/dp/B07146PXR1
or better yet this:
https://www.amazon.com/Redcat-Racin...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y4C4KSD539STR0YGDGVH
and get a wider array of pipes you can use.
the block type headers seem to not perform as well as the "pipe" counterpart.
another option to experiment with is gearing, drop a tooth in the clutchbell if you feel you wouldnt mind sacrificing some speed for torque.

besides a different engine that generates more torque that is all i can think of and the only small block i ran for any length of time i happened to be spoiled with was a .18cv-rx.

I remember this being a big topic about 8-10 years ago. Many people have tried but I what I recall (like mentioned above) is it create tuning issues. These little engines just aren't made for forced air induction.
Show us some pics of your setup...
good luck

i was wondering also if i upgrade the engine because mine is ancient. does a small block engine produce more speed/torque then a big block engine

inherently a bigger engine is going to produce more torque, as its got a bigger piston surface area and stroke, resulting in more fuel. and more power/torque the higher you can gear it to get more speed. your truck is a small block car though, and would take some serious modification to be able to mount and contain the power of a big block.
alot of people install big block engines on T-Maxxes but the issue with that is besides the small block to big block conversion being expensive, is that the big block will tear apart the drivetrain, unless upgraded heavily and still are known to break. and that being a redcat, there are not as many options for upgrades past stock or a little stronger than stock.
small blocks themselves are very different from each other as well even in the same size range. between the materials used, quality of castings, and precision of dimensions.
you could ultimately go for the TRX 3.3, or dynamite .19, or may look at a comparison on the HPI 3.0, the O.S. .18 engines are really good as well including the O.S. .18CV-RX, O.S. .18TZ. even their .15 engines are very strong compared to most small blocks. they are quite spendy though.
if you truly want big block power id recommend finding a 1/8th scale vehicle, weather it be a MT, truggy, muggy, or buggy.
but even those have to be upgraded to contain the more powerful big blocks.

Back