Hot Wheels Sized Garage Progect

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJC_GUY

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I'm pretty much all things car in my life. I work at an offroad shop. I work on most of my own 1:1 stuff. I like mostly car/truck RC, and I love diecast of most scales.

One of my side projects has been this garage. The original design is one I got from Thiniverse and printed just to play around with. It was originally just the 4 walls, roof, floor, and the entrance ramp. I didn't care for the size as it was smaller than it should be as a "commercial shop" type building so I started playing with it. First thing I did was just upscale it to 130%. I printed the garage door face and a couple of walls in that size and it looked more correct.

Next was to make it a more modular unit that is also expandable. The original design had provisions built into it for pinning it together. I went a little further with that then designed some couplers so I could extend its length or width easily to make different shaped and sized shops.

From there I have started making a couple of different faces so it can be a shop or a storefront, still working on those but not unhappy with the first try. I've also done most of my original modification and test prints in the original scale to conserve filament and time printing after making sure I didn't have any fitment issues after upscaling it. I of course did find something that at the smaller scale was snug but the tolerance had to be adjusted in the rescale.

Original garage. The original design is just the front part of the "L" shape on the left side. Trucks for scale.

PXL_20230123_143849761.jpg
PXL_20221226_204508335.jpg
PXL_20230101_000555064.jpg

PXL_20221231_222659005.jpg

As you can see when they are side by side there is a bit of a difference.

The white panels on top are pieces I printed that go over the skylights to make it look like there is frosted glass when I'm shooting interior photos. The ones sitting on top of the smaller building are actually friction fit inserts that go inside the skylights on the larger model so from the outside they look like they have glass in them.

PXL_20230123_143615516.jpg
PXL_20230123_143757367.jpg

And playing around with some interior shots to see if the fit is what I was looking for.

PXL_20230123_003040808.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230122_222902822.jpg
PXL_20230122_201609454.NIGHT.jpg

Thanks for looking, this is kind of my project I go back to when I need to step away from other projects for a while so it's a slow process.

And I thought I had a lot of Hotwheels! I love that collection!!
I have a problem lol, and I don't have much compared to a lot of the guys in the groups I'm in. I'm pretty choosy about what I buy, needs to fit a theme of offroad or be a casting that really catches my eye. Most of those are M2 or Johnny Lighning, so much more detail than Hot Wheels or Matchbox.

I also do a little modding but haven't really taken the time to get really good at it.

PXL_20220703_182431578 (1).jpg

Some pics of part of my collection.

Most of the loose cars and some of the carded ones are cars I've had since I was a kid.

PXL_20220611_183052416 (1).jpg
PXL_20220611_183000882 (1).jpg

All of these are cars I've had since I was little. Some oddballs like Fast 111s with the license plate or the tan Corvette in the upper left of this picture that has a small keyhole on the bottom you use to lock the doors. The two brown Z cars and the blue FJ40 are cars my neighbor gave me when I was around 5 after he came back from Japan. They had the real car of the Z, same color and all that I was in love with and the FJ40 is the 1975 release, which is the year I was born.
PXL_20210515_234205168.jpg
PXL_20210515_234043079.jpg
PXL_20210515_234038442.jpg
PXL_20210515_174555594.jpg
PXL_20210515_222138309.jpg

I have seen some HO scale model train sets that were insane, but this is freaking amazing. you don't seem to let them sit and collect dust as I have been because of school, but I see that you have jacked up a van, just make that an RC truck, and you will be very set. I like it!

Great speed shop and an ideal way to display and photograph your diecast. Kudos. Well done, mate.

Collect 1/64 diecast VW here. Have an assortment of Baja runners and Apocalypse cars in 1/64 as well. Cheers. 'AC'

Thank you, looking at scale garage accessories is making me look at a Resin Printer now. Although I would probably be better off just ordering a bunch because I don't have the patience for painting the little details.

Need to decide how I want to paint it up on the inside first since for photos that will see the most use.

I have gotten to a point where my hobbies tend to feed off each other. Photography and videos end up inspiring me to do rc and diecast projects involving design and 3D printing.

It really got going when I started following this kid a while back. Such an incredible talent. https://anthonyryanschmidt.com/

Give him a follow on social media if you like his stuff. He posts a lot of new stuff. His page gets locked down once in a while because some "adult" decides to be a jerk.

Example of his work.

324427584_2398260280336393_9075929407907573116_n.jpg

Thank you, looking at scale garage accessories is making me look at a Resin Printer now. Although I would probably be better off just ordering a bunch because I don't have the patience for painting the little details.

Need to decide how I want to paint it up on the inside first since for photos that will see the most use.

I have gotten to a point where my hobbies tend to feed off each other. Photography and videos end up inspiring me to do rc and diecast projects involving design and 3D printing.

It really got going when I started following this kid a while back. Such an incredible talent. https://anthonyryanschmidt.com/

Give him a follow on social media if you like his stuff. He posts a lot of new stuff. His page gets locked down once in a while because some "adult" decides to be a jerk.

Example of his work.

View attachment 159004
I have been into airbrushing for the better part of 3 years, not enough to call myself good but I would recommend airbrushing to you. once you get the hang of it, it's really fun and you can use almost any paint (I would not recommend metallic paints because the flakes cover up the brush needle and are a pain in the ass to clean)

I have seen some HO scale model train sets that were insane, but this is freaking amazing. you don't seem to let them sit and collect dust as I have been because of school, but I see that you have jacked up a van, just make that an RC truck, and you will be very set. I like it!

The garage is going to get a base for it to sit on and it's own shelving arrangement by the time it's finished. We have a display case in our living room that has a bunch of Texaco diecast in it and a shelf that gets changed out with different cars and arrangments through the year. Christmas is some 1/24 Franklin Mint stuff.

I have some trouble unwinding and have found that photography, especially forced perspective occupies my mind in a way that forces me to slow down and concentrate on it. It's also why I enjoy RC trailing/crawling, it forces me to put my attention one place and enjoy the moment.

I like playing around with mechanically driven engines. I like them because they are easy to understand. That reminds me, do you have a nitro car? I need a system that I can put on my lawnmower. It is a riding lawn mower, I have an idea about how I am going to build it, but because I don't know very much about nitro RCs I haven't found any that I would deem worthy for my build.

I like playing around with mechanically driven engines. I like them because they are easy to understand. That reminds me, do you have a nitro car? I need a system that I can put on my lawnmower. It is a riding lawn mower, I have an idea about how I am going to build it, but because I don't know very much about nitro RCs I haven't found any that I would deem worthy for my build.
I'm an electric guy. Only nitro I have is an old one a coworker gave me that I'm going to clean up and shelve with my first hobby grade RC, my old RC10T.

There are quite a few knowledgable nitro guys here from what I've seen.

I'm an electric guy. Only nitro I have is an old one a coworker gave me that I'm going to clean up and shelve with my first hobby grade RC, my old RC10T.

There are quite a few knowledgable nitro guys here from what I've seen.
Ok, thank you!

Love it

☝️ This is incredible!!! 💪💯
That kid is amazing. We bought 2 of his calendars this year and gave one as a gift. I recommend him to car people all the time. He has somewhere over 3500 cars in his collection and people send him new ones all the time. He did a shoot with The Hooptie from the Sir Mix-A-Lot song and it was so perfect.

I came home and needed to unwind a bit so I went a little further with the garage project. Added a dirty window to "the showroom" and temp installed some lights under the awning.

Then pictures, because that was the point in the first place. This thing is at about 40% right now, just while doing this I sketched out some shortcomings and design solutions.

This is also 100% friction fit except for the front door and the window film which are held in by putty.

PXL_20230124_005806178.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230124_005631575.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230124_010346847.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230124_011208847.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230124_011808315.NIGHT.jpg

Then I remembered I had the inner skylight inserts to install, also friction fit.

PXL_20230124_013641159.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230124_013657635.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230124_013929269.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230124_014156157.NIGHT.jpg

Playing with light is fun too.
PXL_20230124_014719230.NIGHT.jpg

That kid is amazing. We bought 2 of his calendars this year and gave one as a gift. I recommend him to car people all the time. He has somewhere over 3500 cars in his collection and people send him new ones all the time. He did a shoot with The Hooptie from the Sir Mix-A-Lot song and it was so perfect.

I came home and needed to unwind a bit so I went a little further with the garage project. Added a dirty window to "the showroom" and temp installed some lights under the awning.

Then pictures, because that was the point in the first place. This thing is at about 40% right now, just while doing this I sketched out some shortcomings and design solutions.

This is also 100% friction fit except for the front door and the window film which are held in by putty.

View attachment 159020
View attachment 159031View attachment 159032View attachment 159033View attachment 159034

Then I remembered I had the inner skylight inserts to install, also friction fit.

View attachment 159035
View attachment 159036View attachment 159037View attachment 159038

View attachment 159039
That is beautiful

View attachment 159020
View attachment 159031View attachment 159032View attachment 159033View attachment 159034

View attachment 159035
View attachment 159036View attachment 159037View attachment 159038

View attachment 159039
I love it <3

I have ton Hotwheels stored away from my young days hope one day pass them on to my new born son along with all my nonsense rc stuff lol

I collect 1:32, 1:34, and 1:38 diecast cars like you see at CVS or walmart or something. I also got a case full of hotwheels. Some of them are from my grandpa and some from my uncle. Ill post pics later today if I can find them.

Back