hot bodies shocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrvern_04

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok, i'm biting the bullet here...i'm pulling out all the stops...i am just going to get everything i want for my savage right now!

i've noticed there are a few different sets of aluminum shocks, some threaded, some for racing, some appear to be the same other than color, but yet there is a big dif in prices. i am looking for threaded ones from hot bodies. i just enjoy seeing what i can do with my savage so i want so have some control on road, but i think my main concern (since it is a monster) is that it has good articulation off road while letting the other tires maintain ground contact. :write: what weight shock oil would you guys reccomend, and is there a particular set of shocks you'd reccomend?

everyone I know that has the hot bodies shocks has had issues with the shafts bending from fairly small jumps or impacts. a quick fix is to swap out the stock shock shafts for the ones that come with the HB ones.

Another theory is that the stock plastic expands slightly under pressure so if your going to use the aluminum drop down to 20 -25 wt shock oil.

Personally I haven't been impressed with any of the aftermarket shocks they all have one issue or another. I plan on sticking with the stockers until I retire the truck they work great and they are dirt cheap to get spares for. I've been running the same shocks for almost 2 years now with no issues and only one bent shaft and cracked shock-body :yes:

EVERY set of aftermarket shocks for the savage are garbage. do not get aluminum shocks. they bend b/c of the length of the shaft is pretty long and the aluminum bodies have no give to them and the shafts are only like 3mm so they are pretty weak. if u want a different set of shocks other than stock savage shocks u can do and lst shock conversion, cen genesis shock conversion, or a buggy shock conversion. the lst is the most popular but the cen is up and coming. i run the lst shocks on my savage and i love them my savage handles so much nicer with them. if you do not want to do any of these conversions then stick with the stock shocks and put like 20-30wt oil in them and you will be fine. as for the lst's i run 35-40wt oil in mine with black or yellow springs depending on if I'm racing or bashing. the cen shocks, alot of people are using 35wt with white springs. I'm not sure about the buggy setup all i know is you need like nova shock towers in order to run them.hope this helps you

I will agree that the stockers are much more durable than the aftermarket ones. Since they are so cheap to fix, I would keep them stock. Ebay has them for dirt cheap and its for all 8 of them.

I had a set of the HB threaded... I broke 3 out of the 8 shocks by breaking the disk in half inside the shock, the piston thing. 3 more got bent shafts. 2 lasted the hour... The most air I had gotten was 4-5 feet.

I replaced them with OFNA 1/8 buggy shocks. Pricey, but durable as all get out. 8+ feet of air all day long without issues. I had to drill out the pistons though as they were to restrictive with even 30 weight in them.

LST2 shocks are what i run and couldn't be happier

I do no beleive they are a direct fit. New towers and mounts are required.

lst2 shocks are not a direct fit. you need to get a kit to mount them from IRC.
http://www.innovative-rc.co.uk/
depending on which savage you have is which kit you get. the 3mm is cheaper than the 5mm but is weaker for bashing, so if you bash get the 5mm kit. if you have a savage x you get the kit for it and u have to get lower arms from a savage 25. for the lst2 shocks get em off ebay as they are much cheaper on there. u can also find irc products on ebay kudos_ace_1 is his id on ebay.

i'm going to agree with the masses...stay away from the aftermarket shocks. most are just pricey bling that will not stand upto a decent pounding. 4 yrs and running on my stock shocks and only 1 bent shaft. another benefit of staying with the stockers is picking up a couple sets cheap on the forums or ebay. This way you can swap out shocks based on what you want to do...bash or race. just my .02

lst2 shocks are not a direct fit. you need to get a kit to mount them from IRC.
http://www.innovative-rc.co.uk/
depending on which savage you have is which kit you get. the 3mm is cheaper than the 5mm but is weaker for bashing, so if you bash get the 5mm kit. if you have a savage x you get the kit for it and u have to get lower arms from a savage 25. for the lst2 shocks get em off ebay as they are much cheaper on there. u can also find irc products on ebay kudos_ace_1 is his id on ebay.

yep. you need LST2 shocks, mounting kit, savage25 lower arms, and new towers (i use nova). I put on the hpi suspension conversion to eliminate the rear tie rods.

you can't compare stock with the LST's. I wish i had my old comparison pic. I trashed stock shocks as well as the HB aluminum ones. The shaft on the LST's is about as big as the plastic tube that holds the ink in you inkpen. When you sit them next to eachother, the first thought is WHOA.

Is there a difference in shock shaft diameters between the LST and LST2? The last time I saw a savage that ran LST shocks they didn't last very long.

no there isnt a difference in the shaft they are both a 4mm shaft which is almost bulletbroof unless u hit something pretty hard. I've hit a concrete patio at wot and my lst2 shock is still holdin up strong with no problem at all, now the lower a arm that was destroyed. the difference in the two sets of shocks i the lst2 shocks are threaded adjustable shock bodies the lst shock bodies are the preload collar type where u just add as many collars as u want.

They do make a TiNi coated shaft for the LST shocks though. Those are supposed to be tougher.

New Era makes a LST shock conversion kit for the savage as well.

If you want to go cheaper, you can get aftershock plastic bodied shocks. They work pretty good to.

i got my HB shocks for over 2 years now and i haven't have any problems. the only thing is that i'm using my stock shock shafts in the aluminum bodies. that seems to hold up, plust the stock HB shafts don't have much threats.

They do make a TiNi coated shaft for the LST shocks though. Those are supposed to be tougher.

New Era makes a LST shock conversion kit for the savage as well.

If you want to go cheaper, you can get aftershock plastic bodied shocks. They work pretty good to.

i heard that they werent worth the money. the only real way imo to make the shafts better is to heat treat them like irc does. there shocks are awesome. little stiff to start with but once they loosen up they are the best money can buy.

oz, the hpi shafts are actually tougher than the hb shafts so u did a good thing there. still the fact of the matter is that 99% of the savage shocks are junk except for the stockers. the savage shocks are very sensitive to the shock oil and springs used. if you get it right they are decently reliable but nothing to shout at. if u get it wrong your gonna spend a fortune on shafts and oil. unfortunatly there is a very fine line between the two and thats why i say they suck. maybe you got lucky and hit it just right or maybe you dont bash hard enough.

Last edited:
i heard that they werent worth the money. the only real way imo to make the shafts better is to heat treat them like irc does. there shocks are awesome. little stiff to start with but once they loosen up they are the best money can buy.

Irc? Got a link?

maybe you got lucky and hit it just right or maybe you dont bash hard enough.

I'm not gonna lie and tell you i bash hard all the time, which i don't, but when i do, i made jumps about 5 to 8 feet, back flips and all, is just about how you land, i'm pretty good at landing on all 4s.

I'm not gonna lie and tell you i bash hard all the time, which i don't, but when i do, i made jumps about 5 to 8 feet, back flips and all, is just about how you land, i'm pretty good at landing on all 4s.

at least your honest. i know people who have taken the lst, stock savage, and irc shocks on 20+ foot jumps. thats my next task to try out.

Back