Hobbytown near me Rant

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyster

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
First off, I have to say, the HobbyTown USA that opened up in my area has been the best thing for hobbyists, table top gamers and toys that you can find for your kids that may not be located in other name stores. That being said, the owner of the HT where I live is wanting to build a track in the lot behind the store. He has been working on this sense the day he opened and the RC off road and on road enthusiasts started coming in. Needless to say, he was willing to pay the price for the lot and start the construction. The only thing holding back was confirmation from the city.... yeah guess what happens from there.
They say there is a noise ordinance policy they have to up hold and they will not let him do it. Well if that's the problem, I guess most of us could understand that, except there's one thing that draws a huge question. Why is there a noise ordinance policy that needs to be up held when the Hickory Motor Speedway is practically a half mile away from the store? Yeah, I hear the speed way 5 miles away from my house in the neighboring city.
I am sure that there are more detail that I would rather not hear that supports the city's reason to dump this but I really feel it's because the "city" won't really make a $$$ out of it like the store would. That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:
That does blow! Seems like any noise restrictions would be tied to "Time of day" anyway??? Or, have an "electric only" track? That would suck too, but at least youd have a track.. (then you could lobby for nitro/noise after it was built and open) But, like most things, politic$ screws it up.. :( The owner must not know the right people or greased enough palms, unfortuntely..

Drag strip here closed about 20 years ago. I heard it was because of the noise.
Got a dirt track 8 or 10 miles from the house. I can hear it pretty good some nights.

Lot of the time it's who ya know or who ya pay.
Dad bought a piece of property several years ago with a gas station on it. Bank advertised it as commercial property. When he tried to do something with it he couldn't because it was zoned residential. But the service station had been there for years.

Consider yourself lucky you have a hobby shop. Sounds like a pretty good one.
We have one 4 miles from the house.
If I need something...

It's an hour drive. I will not go to the one in town for anything.

We have one 4 miles from the house.
If I need something...

It's an hour drive. I will not go to the one in town for anything.

Yeah I know, this store, I will say, has got the best crew to try and help a customer in anything they sale there.

As for the business man trying to embellish on his market with out rubbing shoulders with the city is probably a futile attempt.

Count your blessing ya got a store bro.

Maybe get involved in it yourself. Start a petition. Put a little pressure on the lawmakers.
I'm old school though. Hillbilly ways maybe.
I honestly think I would've started the track without going though the city. Wait until somebody complains, then try to pacify them.

Think I would still try it.

Yeah, I know, I have thought about the petition thing and yes, I feel blessed I have a good store close by. :D

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the speedway has been there for many decades, and as such was in place long before any noise ordinances were in place. That being said, it still doesn't make it right. As stated above, sometimes it's not what you know, but rather who you know. Hopefully you guys can get it all worked out Hyster.

go to the city and ask just what IS the ordinace. it would about have to be a certain DB level. then figure out how to comply with it. if the cops dont have DB meter they can't enforce it.

I know that in the small town where I live, the noise ordinance has an effective time between 10pm and 8am. You might also check into time of the ordnance.

Well, if this tells ya'll anything, I have a buddy that I work with. He use to own a night club right beside a restaurant a bar that has been in this city for years. They tried several times to check him for doing anything wrong. Apparently they set him up with something and he had to close down and sale everything including his home. Not only he said it was some of the "town commissioners" but others that knew about those people and the two places being close together said he was set up.
What was it? They tried to say he served a minor. Never got a clear answer on that one except it shut him down and now he is making less than he was then.
BTW I know this little part of my post sounds vague and stuff but i don't want to say much about the details. Last thing I want is saying something I don't know all the info on it except what I have said.

Last edited:
That just goes to show that if someone in a position of power wants you out of there, you're gone. It doesn't mean it's right, but that's just the way it is.

Back