Hobbico 1.5V big battery.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lykan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, I'm tired of hand held glow warmers. I hate 'em. I have one rechargable (with the meter), and one alkaline warmer.

I know I heard you guys use the bg hobbico 1.5 volt batterries.

How long do they last?
How hard are they to attach to the glow plug?

They're pretty big looken, do they get the glow plug nice and white-ish orange? I have never seen my glow plugs get near white usualy a dark red never bright. I m hoping these will provide a hotter plug too.

I was thinking I would leave the glow plug clip and the wires attached to the nitros, and solder on a quick connector.

That way I just plug in the battery start the nitro (or fiddle with the carb) then unplug the wire and go.

The size/weight won't bother me. At any given time I've got a bundle of hex/screw drivers and a ton of other things in my pocket.
Tell m what you think of my idea and your opinons on the batterys.

Last edited:
They are big, heavy, but reliable as all hell.

last year I went through 2 of them the whole season and one was dropped.

Thats for 4 steady driving machines.

They attach with alligator clips on one end (battery side) to a glo-ignotor-stick on the other. Spring loaded.

Hobbico makes those too along with Hangar 9. I like the hangar 9 model better.

Sky currently uses one and I am about to use one. I'm not even going to take a stab at how long they will last but I'm willing to bet a good long time.

Think it would be a good idea to get some kind of clip that stays on the glow plug?

So I can just plug it in, say on the shock tower, and unplug it rather than have a glow ignitor/charger I have to remove?

I'm sure it would be light, that way I wont have to fiddle with hooking up anything to the glow plug. Seems the glow ignitor tips get dirty and don't secure well. Not to mention they are hard on the knuckles when you slip with the pull start.

I run the Hobbico set up. If you get the long version of the glo-ignitor that hooks to the battery, you won't have to worry about the knuckle issue. As for how long they last, that is going to be limited by the number of cars you use it on and how many times. I have not yet replaced my battery in over 6 months.

I use the Hobbico as the primary started and keep a smaller C-cell ignitor in my pocket for those times when I am away from the field kit. No, I do not carry that big clunky thing around. But for starts, it kind of takes away the potential of the weak glo-ignitor being a source of non-starting engines. I have been rather pleased with this "upgrade."

Your "clip" idea sounds nice, but reminds me too much of the "blue wire" from the T-Maxx. It was a nice idea, but rarely worked effectively after the first or second hardcore session. You might want to try your experiment, but be prepared to buy the glo-ignitor anyway.

I'll do just that. I'll go ahead and buy the glow ignitor that you are talking about. The I will also buy a clip or two.

That way if it doesn't work out, or I need to start somone elses rig i'll have it on me.

Man I wish their was kind of a "set place" to bash here. No one is organized. We're rural so everyone probably just bashes in their back feild. Hard to find others to go thrash my righ with.

Any construction going on around there? Any new housing developments going up? That is what we look for out here in Hampton Roads, VA (at least what I look for :D ).

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
I run the Hobbico set up. If you get the long version of the glo-ignitor that hooks to the battery, you won't have to worry about the knuckle issue. As for how long they last, that is going to be limited by the number of cars you use it on and how many times. I have not yet replaced my battery in over 6 months.

I use the Hobbico as the primary started and keep a smaller C-cell ignitor in my pocket for those times when I am away from the field kit. No, I do not carry that big clunky thing around. But for starts, it kind of takes away the potential of the weak glo-ignitor being a source of non-starting engines. I have been rather pleased with this "upgrade."

I love mine. It always starts my engines plus my friends. I also carry a rechargeabell sub c cell ignitor when I have to run out to restart it.

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
Any construction going on around there? Any new housing developments going up? That is what we look for out here in Hampton Roads, VA (at least what I look for :D ).

All the construction sites here close the site off. I am going to try the river bed tomorrow. I bought a couple of those skate board ramps at toys r us and they are fun.!!

I found a BMX track, that was a ton of fun, and drew a ton of people.

It was a kick in the pants, but it didn't draw any fellow nitro people.

If you guys are anything like me, I keep my nitro in my truck when I leave.
Even if I can't bring my maxx, I'm constantly nodding in my mind, oh that'd work. Whoo look at that dirt pile. Wonder how much air I could get off that.

I used to keep mine in the car but my sons stuff gets in the way and I don't like the fuel in the car. If I knew there was a place to bash every day..I would be there.

Here is the battery:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL368&P=7

This clip works:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVJ49&P=M

Here is the LONG setup by Hangar 9, but for some reason, Horizon didnt have the alligator clip version online.

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=HAN121

HAN121-250.jpg

Back