High temp problems even with HSN at 5 turns out!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Drayton

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
yep it's true.....but let me tell the full story:

Just run in a HPI T-15 which went to plan using the HPI recommended method. I am probably on the 7th to 8th tank and have suddenly got high temp problems.

During static and initial runs my traxxas on board temp guage was reading 100f- 150f all good.

BUT now even with the HSN at 5 or 6 or so many turns out it is almost falling out I am getting 220 -230f at idle when I dared run at half throttle I was hitting 310f....not good!

230f at idle is not good and with the HSN at 5 turns out (LSN flush) my first thought was that there must be an air leak.

However I stripped the engine today and planned on using Gasket sealent on the back plate and carb in an attempt to seal air leak BUT............

when I looked at the liner at the 'pinch point' the machined finish has been burnished (polished, marked) by the piston rubbing against it.

I know a new engine will be tight for a while but do you think these marks are normal??

Do you think it is this friction between the piston and the liner that is causing the engine to overheat?? I am suspicious because there is plenty of smoke from the pipe and the HSN is so far open it's on the verge of falling out.......

all help appreciated guys.

Cheers RM

You could have an air leak at the carb retainer bolt. That's a fairly common part to get an air leak at. Make sure the carb is seated all the way down, and tighten that retainer down as tight as you can. Also, this is perhaps a touch too late, but next time you have your engine apart, check to make sure the bolt holes that the backplate screws screw into on the crank case aren't punched all the way through.

Aside from that, just make sure your engine is nice and tight, and that your glow plug washer isn't missing/severely deformed.