Hey owners of Maxx's running Fantoms in them.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_789

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey I have never cut a crank before. So I just cut my crank on my fantom and its a thread or so longer than a pro 15 crank that a buddy gave me to use as a guide. My question is what happens if crank is too long? How can I tell? Other than it being Identicle length as the pro .15 thanks...X

If it is to long the clutch nut will not tighten down enough, the flywheel will be loose and able to spin with out turning the crank.

Just trim a little off at a time until it is short enough. Be careful not to cut too much!

You will know it is too long when you drop the engine in and the clutch bell and the spur gear are not lined up. The proper length of the shaft on the .15 Fantom is between three and four threads showing; I cut mine to close to three threads showing. You can try the shim method that Matts has mentioned, but that will, with time, begin to slip as the shim gets worn down.

Thank you for re-enforcing my point. Not that it was necessary.

AE makes a shaft-cutting guide that works perfect. It’s a nut cut to the exact depth you need. Just screw it on and cut the shaft. I will find the part # for you.

When you cut the shaft put your engine in a plastic bag and push the shaft out a little hole. Use a rubber band to seal the hole. You need to keep all the metal shavings out of your engine.

Um yeah...metal shavings and engines don't mix real well. If you can get your hands on a TRX engine...that would be the ideal candidate for measuring up the comparisons...

Back