HELP with driving nitro R/C buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggy_will

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Ok I have had several issues with my brand new Duratrax 835B nitro 1/8 scale buggy, now after bashing it for a few hours I went outside started it up and after I let it warm up a little bit I hit the throttle and the car moves but takes a lot of gas to get it going, it seems like it doesn't want to go, everything sounds normal but when I hit the gas it sounds like the power is not making it to the wheel correctly, can someone please help as I am losing my mind with this car, I will never purchase another Duratrax product as long as I live, only thing done that day was that I did crash into another r/c car and broke my right front lower suspension arm, I fixed it and went to take it back out and that's when I noticed this.

Hi will....duratrax rigs are pretty decent bud..you may have a loose grub screw on one of the drive cups on the differentials,and or your clutch isn't working properly

It may be a worn clutch, or that you're engine is running WAY to rich :)

It may be a worn clutch, or that you're engine is running WAY to rich :)

Ok I checked the grub screws and they were all good, if I lift it off the ground while it is running and give it gas the wheels spin about the same speed as they do on the ground, I uploaded a video to youtube so you guys can check it out and let me know, I'm starting to go crazy now not having my nitro car, please help! Here is the link to the video

Ok I checked the grub screws and they were all good, if I lift it off the ground while it is running and give it gas the wheels spin about the same speed as they do on the ground, I uploaded a video to youtube so you guys can check it out and let me know, I'm starting to go crazy now not having my nitro car, please help! Here is the link to the video
I have never had a Duratrax rig. It sounds like your slipper clutch needs to be tightened a little.

I didn't know it had a slipper clutch, I'm new to nitro, if it does how do I tighten it?

It absolutely sounds like a slipper clutch issue. The adjustment is in the center of the spur gear. That's the big gear. There's a hex nut in the middle. Tighten it down, then back it off 1/4 turn. If you keep trying to drive it while the slipper is slipping, you'll burn it out and you'll need to replace it.
If tightening the slipper doesn't solve the issue then you have a problem with the centrifugal clutch shoes inside the bell. Do the slipper first and then get back to us.

It absolutely sounds like a slipper clutch issue. The adjustment is in the center of the spur gear. That's the big gear. There's a hex nut in the middle. Tighten it down, then back it off 1/4 turn. If you keep trying to drive it while the slipper is slipping, you'll burn it out and you'll need to replace it.
If tightening the slipper doesn't solve the issue then you have a problem with the centrifugal clutch shoes inside the bell. Do the slipper first and then get back to us.
+1 this, almost certainly that, and if not the centrifugal one (which will probably only be a 2 shoe nylon one)

+1 this, almost certainly that, and if not the centrifugal one (which will probably only be a 2 shoe nylon one)

I was told by some other guy that this model does not have a slipper clutch, I did however tear the center diff apart and low and behold one of the spider gears inside are grounded down so there are no more teeth on that specific gear which would cause the issue I am having, I will post pics of it tomorrow, I couldn't believe it. I already have a new bevel gear set on order with some gear oil, oh and I looked on my spur gear and there is no hex nut on there, there is a grub screw on the center diff cover that has a hex head, is that the adjustment? Let me know, thanks for the help everyone.

I was told by some other guy that this model does not have a slipper clutch, I did however tear the center diff apart and low and behold one of the spider gears inside are grounded down so there are no more teeth on that specific gear which would cause the issue I am having, I will post pics of it tomorrow, I couldn't believe it. I already have a new bevel gear set on order with some gear oil, oh and I looked on my spur gear and there is no hex nut on there, there is a grub screw on the center diff cover that has a hex head, is that the adjustment? Let me know, thanks for the help everyone.
That grub screw holds a pin in, so I presume it does adjust something.

Back