help with 2 speed trans.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SokuShi

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have a centrifugal type 2 speed transmission on my GX1 and i get about 15 minutes out of a gear they end up looking like this

deadgear.jpg

so yea they just blast through the lip they are suppose to catch on to shift, any body have any expiernce with this. Maybe making the car shift erlier at a lower RPM will put less stress on the gear?

any info would be welcome

I'm not familiar with those at all. But it looks like the centrifugal catch mechanism slowly gouges out the gear as you reach 2nd gear speed and is totally ripping up the spurs. Looking at the gears, I'm wondering if that's even a fixable problem or just a common issue with the car. My RS4 works almost the same way, only it has a metal bar that catches so you don't have problems with stripping out like that.

I don't know what else to tell ya. I'm not even 100% if that's how your 2nd gear engages.

yea a finger pops out and grabs the gear, so I'm gonna mount a small plate in there i think, well try too. thanks for the help, there is a metal bar but its like int he plastic and really doesn't do anything.

Ahhhh, I see that metal bar now. Here's something you could also try that I think might work.

You see the groove the finger has made? Dremel that out so you expose the metal bar right there. Only dremel that part where the finger has grooved the plastic. The idea would be to make the finger grab that metal pin instead of plastic.

Yeah, you got the right idea though. You just need to harden the edge that the finger grabs somehow. That seems like kind of a silly design in the first place.

maybe but i think that pin is too deep into the plastic and out of reach of the finger, but you never know

Was it engaging pretty late? At tlike a real high RPM?

nope sounded pretty healthy but as soon as it starts eating them i can tell by the noise it makes when it starts hitting RPM's

i have the same kind of gear for my V-one S and the same thing happened( u could here the cam trying to engage on the gear) U can try drilling a 2 mm hole in front of the flat part of the gear that engages the cam(used to be) and putting a 2mm pin there(make sure it has a tight fit) use super glue as well. That should fix the problem :smoke:

heh thanks for the VERY late post but i got it fixed after i decided to get smart and order 2 gears i havent had a problem with the first one yet, i just made it engage later, i figured it was knicking it during idle and i just couldent hear it. so i put it back to factory then put it a little tighter and she works great, now i just gotta stop loosing dogbones on impact :)

Back