Help wanted with clutch setup

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tertianend

RCTalk Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Howdy I'm upgrading to alloy clutch shoes for my Hyper 7 I have gone for the Answer-rc alloy shoes with 3 sets of springs 0.9mm Gold 1.0mm Silver 1.1mm Black. Decent shoes from what I remember used them a few years back now. I'm wanting to know which spring will be best to run alongside my Hobao Hyper 30 engine with a 16T clutch bell 46T spur. Mostly offroad dirt track bashing and a bit of onroad.

20210915_005132.jpg
20210915_005013.jpg
20210915_004937.jpg
20210915_004919.jpg
20210915_004910.jpg

Stiffer springs cause the clutch to engage at higher RPMs and visa versa. Which one is right for you is a matter of tuning for the best performance. Theres no set answer. To understand clutch tuning better you might want to read through the link below.

https://www.bukupower.com/ClutchTuning2.aspx

usually
Golden colored springs are the weakest, they engage at low rpm.
Black colored springs or medium, they take a little more rpm to engage.
Shiny metal colored silver springs are the strongest, takes a high rpm for them to engage.

You can also use different springs per each shoe.
Example a silver, a black, and a gold
What this does is provide traction on dusty low traction surfaces, as only one clutch shoe will engage, then the 2nd shoe will engage and finally the 3rd shoe. This helps keeps the tires from losing traction and all 3 shoes will engage at different time until all 3 are engaged.

Also, there are two ways to mount the shoes,
Trailing shoes, standard set up sit opposed of the direction the flywheel rotates and this is the standard set up.
And
Leading shoes the shoes sit the direction the flywheel spins, this engages harder and used on high traction surfaces.

Quote from RC/Driver
Clutch shoe orientation. Technically there is no real wrong direction to put your clutch shoes on. However, orientation of the shoes does make a difference as to how the clutch reacts. The most common setup is called “trailing shoes.” This setup has the clutch shoes aligned opposite to direction the crankshaft turns. This provides a smooth engaging clutch and is ideal for most tracks. When the shoes are turned the same direction as the crank is turning, it is known as “leading shoes.” The leading shoes setup causes the clutch to engage with more of a punch, and is used mostly for extremely high traction conditions.

Back