Help w/ 1st generation TMaxx tranny

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcheath

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
It gets stuck between forward and reverse, and I can't get it to shift either direction most of the time. I took the tranny apart and made sure everything was moving freely. I don't want to switch to forward only though. Any guesses as to why it gets stuck in between gears?

Just read the post below about the STUPID 2.5 tranny. I am going to try those suggestions, but if anyone has any others I would appreciate it.
Thanks, David

In many cases if the idle is set too high it will not switch gears. The forward/reverse has been an issue on that tranny ever since the very beginning. Whether you want to hear it or not one of the best things you can do for that tranny is remove all the reverse crap and just put a forward only gear in it. I was just like you when I had my first maxx many years ago, I was not gonna take out my reverse. Once I did the foc, my only regret was I did not do it sooner. The truck accellerated much better, no more jerkey starts from idle, and it was never stuck between gears again, it is honestly one of the best low cost mods you can do to a maxx.

Coming from someone who also thought the reverse was cool. I just recently got a T-maxx. It was the first Nitro car that I have had with reverse and I thought it would be great. I took the guys' advice on here though and did a FOC and it made life easier. i wasn't that attached to the reverse so i only cried a little when it was gone, but no one saw me cry so that means it didn't happen. Seriously, you won't miss reverse with all the good that comes from a FOC and if you still miss it just mount the body on backwards.

how does taking out reverse make it go better?

Because it's basically always locked in forward. You remove the reverse clutch and gears, and the shift fork from the tranny, and you also remove the shift servo. Then you replace all that stuff with a forward only gear with no clutches or any un-needed junk attached to the shaft. Once you get rid of all the reverse parts in the tranny there is no more slippage and jerking on take off. When you mash the throttle, it just goes.

What they said ^. You'll Get used to forward only real quick, trust me.