Help!!!!!! Second clutch bell stripped.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnieh06

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just stripped the second clutch bell in less than a quart of fuel. Being new to the hobby I chucked it up as parts wear out blah blah blah. Now the second one stripped out in two to three runs. Why is this happening? Is the clutch and spur spacing off? If so any techniques on spacing? Btw metal spur and clutch. Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

You need a Hardened Steel clutch bell to go with the steel spur, the regular stock type clutch bells wear like they are made out of butter when used with a steel spur.
Unless you are running a BL 6S or a race modded .32, a stock plastic spur is the better option, and it will strip out before something else in the driveline, like a fuse, and they are cheap & easy to replace.

What model maxx are you running? #4910, #4909, #4908/07?

Last edited:
First thing, ditch the steel spur, second thing is properly adjust your slipper, third is proper alignment of the spur and cb,..what rig is it?

Alright thank you I thought cuz I had a metal spur and clutch I was good and its a tmaxx 3.3 one of the longer ones I forget the specific number

The 4908 & 4907 differ only in the TX/RX they came with, the 4908 came with an AM set, the 4907 came with the 2.4ghz set.

Yup, get a couple of stock spurs and toss the extras in your go box.

Snug the slipper good "don't crank it tight" then back it off about 1/4,...as for the mesh, make sure the gears are square to each other, and there should be only the slightest wiggle between the 2, if your engine mount bolts are snugged just right it will be much easier

Alrighty so stock gears or hardened steel clutch bell and make sure the slipper is secure and the mesh was another concern but I think I got it now. Thanks guys

Not secure, properly adjusted

Alright I'll make sure it's properly adjusted after work and the rest will have to wait till pay day lol would the clutch shoes have anything to do with it? I done some looking around on YouTube and just curious.

Alright, would the clutch shoes have anything to do with it?

Nope, but while you are in there give the clutch a good once over and check/replace the clutch bell bearings if they are the least bit rough.
AvidRC.com is the place the get them from, OEM quality but at only $1 each!

Back