HELP...RC10GT...Electronics (Servos) not working

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinkukuc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Please help me everyone. Newbie to the sport and hopefully didn't screw things up to bad with my car. I just charged up my hump pack on the back of the car this morning and when I reconnected the battery to the car I mismatched the cable so the power and ground cables went into the wrong connection. I went to turn on the car and all of a sudden I heard my steering servo sound like it died and was smoking a little. I shut it off right away and noticed that the cable on the battery was in the wrong way. (Stupid me) I then reconnected it the correct way but my other servo gas and brake will not move now. Did I completely screw myself here? Or is there something that I should check to get it up and running again. Please let me know any input on where to start or what info you would need for me to post to get some hopefully good news. I really feel like a dumb*** but like I said I am just starting with this hobby and I guess I will learn from my mistakes. Thanks everyone!!!:(

Check the servo wires, they may have fried. Open the receiver box and swap the steering servo over to the throttle port on the receiver just to test that the servo itself went bad and not the receiver.
If it is bad, the good news is a servo for that rig is not expensive. Someone on here will probably have something that will work for around 10 bucks shipped. 40oz servos are a dime a dozen on E-Bay.

Hello Scrogg,
I appreciate the reply. I checked the wires and nothing looked fried. Like I said the steering servo is the only thing that sounded like it died and a little smoke came out of it. The car was only on for about 10 seconds without me messing with the remote at all. I did try to switch the two cables into different ports on the receiver but there is no box on the receiver that I have. I am sorry if I am not explaining everything correctly as I have only had this for about a month and have only used it about 5 times. I purchased this car used off of someone. I will try to tell you everything that I have if that helps. The rear has a 5 battery hump pack with a 4 channel Receiver (RCSPORT RX2A) The gas and brake servo is a traxxis 2075 and the steering servo is one that I got off of ebay with all metal gears inside? I tried switching the plugs into all the different slots on the receiver on the car but the gas and brake still do not trigger anything. It is almost as everything just died???? Could the receiver go bad within that time? Any help would be appreciated and thanks for your response earlier. If it was your car and you had to replace these parts what would you get??? Like I said Newbie hear and any recommendations are appreciated as I am just learning on this.

Thanks

On my rc10gt i have to replace the gas servo beacuse they are near the motor and they do fry,if yours smoked i would replace it,do you only have a two channel beacuse ill tell you what plugs go where

Hello LeanMachine,
The buggy has a 4 channel receiver. I tried plugging each cable into all four channels but I do not get a response from either the steering servo (which is the one that smoked) or the throttle servo which I didn't notice it do anything but I wasn't paying any attention to it? SHould I replace both servos? or is the receiver fryed or does that even happen? Thanks again for your help and if you had to purchase these parts are there any specific ones that you would buy? Thanks again for the help.

what all do you have on the truck?not really a need for a 4 channel.steering/throttle,and if both servos dont work you might just have a power issue,check your battery and the linkage to the reciever,its sounds to me like you pluged positive in to negative or pluged your power into an outgoing channel and it prob fried,go with a two channel reciever,is it am/fm or 2.4? narrow it by getting the reciever first,then if your servos still dont work then your gonna have to replace them,i dont see the things fryin,not from a battery pack,more the reciever.but MAKE SURE your battery is good before you buy other parts.ebay is where i get all the things my LHS doesn't have,lots of gt stuff,i can give you links aswell.

Sorry that I haven't given all the info....i am a newbie and I purchased this whole setup off of someone so I pretty much haven't done anything to it besides screwing it up...lol...trying not to but how do I know if the battery pack is bad on the back?? This is what it has on the buggy. The remote is a RC SPORT 2-PYX AM2-CHANNEL RADIO CONTROL SYSTEM that is 27MHZ and has a number 3 sticker hanging from it by the wheel. It also has a few adjustment knobs on the top of it along with a couple of switches. SOrry if you don't need this info as the only thing that I pretty much know how to do is to start it up and drive. I haven't really tinkered with anything. The receiver on the buggy is a 4 channel AM RCSPORT RX2A that has a number 3 sticker on something that you can pull out of it. There is no cover on it so you pretty much can see where the wires plug into it. The power and ground wires go into a slot labelled B and then the steering servo is in 1 and the throttle servo is in 2. If one of the servos burned out would the other one still work? SOrry if I sound stupid or if I am asking stupid questions but this is the only way I am going to learn. The steering servo I purchased off someone on ebay item number 330334478508. The reason I had purchased that one is my other one would twitch back and forth while it was driving. Again, this is the only part that I saw smoke a little and it sounded like a robot dying and turned all the way to the right when I plugged the battery pack in reverse. Stupid me! The throttle servo is a traxxas 2075. Let me know if you need to know anything else or what your advice would be. I appreciate it.

Thanks

Check the voltage at the receiver with the battery plugged in and the switch on. You should get about 6.5 volts. If there is power at the receiver, you know its good. Then replace your servos. If there is no power at the receiver and your sure that there are no bad connections, you need a receiver too.

Check the voltage at the receiver with the battery plugged in and the switch on. You should get about 6.5 volts. If there is power at the receiver, you know its good. Then replace your servos. If there is no power at the receiver and your sure that there are no bad connections, you need a receiver too.

So an update to the buggy. Metalhead thanks for your input and I am going to pick up a voltage reader from the store when I head out today so I will see if it is indeed getting power to the receiver. Do I just connect the possitive and negative to the power line that runs to the receiver? I did hook up my other steering servo that I had the one that used to twitch left and right and didn't get any response to that? Can hooking a battery up backwards fry the battery? Or do you think my receiver went bad? If so should I purchase a combo receiver and remote? Thanks for the input.

Back