HELP!!! Newb Dad trying to help son with his Nitro RC car...wheels and tires issue.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleveniseven

RC Newbie
Reaction score
good day everyone. my son has a traxxas nitro rustler RC car. the OEM rear tires keep coming off the rims. I cannot get them to stay on...(yes I have read about and tried gluing)
either i am not good at this, or something. we are not racing, we are not serious. we just want to ramp stuff and do donuts and rip around.
I would like to put beadlock wheels on the rear. these are 2.8" wheels. but i cannot understand or find what i need. can anyone help me?

Link the wheels you want. And what glue have you tried using? Ca should work. Traxxas as well as other brands have preglued tires.

Are you just looking for just the wheels? Or premounted wheels and tires?
ProLine has some 2.8 wheels and tires, they are not beadlocks tho. I do like ProLine as they have the removable hexes to change the wheel offset, or replace them if they strip out.
I use to have 2.8 Duratrax Lockups MTs for my electric rusty. Those were beadlocks. Great tire for offroad. Lots of traction on the street and sidewalk. Stripped 2 of the hexes out. It was my fault tho, not the wheel.
ProLine I believe has the trenchers, badlands and streetfighters in 2.8 size. Now that 2.8 size can either be MT for Monster Truck or ST for Stadium Truck (which is the rustler, stadium truck)
Duratrax has all different kinds of tires. Banditos, Lockups, SIx Pack, Hatchet and there are others.

Traxxas has other premounted wheels and tires. Like the anacondas, alias (stock) and talon. I used the alias and anacondas before. I don't like them. I just use them just to get the car running and driving. Not the best traction on the street and sidewalk (anacondas) and the alias rear knobs/pins wear out petty fast.

For my wheels, I use ProTek medium strength CA glue which works and is fine for me. Never had a traxxas tire come un glued from the wheel before.

i just dont want to mess with it. beadlocks seem pretty permanent to me. I'm not sure why they glue these things in the first place. i understand that the roatational mass is an issue in some instances, but dont they make lightweight beadlocks too?

i just dont want to mess with it. beadlocks seem pretty permanent to me. I'm not sure why they glue these things in the first place. i understand that the roatational mass is an issue in some instances, but dont they make lightweight beadlocks too?
You'll want 2.2 beadlocks. I'm not sure if they make 2.8 beadlocks. If you do go 2.2 beadlocks, you have to worry about soft side wall crawler tires.

what about mounting and offset?
are these supposed to be 12mm hex? the nuts on the OEM wheels are substantially smaller than 12mm

Yes I believe the nitro rustler has 12mm hexes (cause my electric 2 wheel does)
The wheel nuts are 7mm tho.

what about mounting and offset?
are these supposed to be 12mm hex? the nuts on the OEM wheels are substantially smaller than 12mm

The "12mm" hex refers to the drive hex, equivalent to the rotor on a car, not the nut which holds the wheel on.

Yes I believe the nitro rustler has 12mm hexes (cause my electric 2 wheel does)
The wheel nuts are 7mm tho.
The fronts have bearings and the rears have 12mm hex. The front wheel nuts are larger too.

You can put a bearing in the rear wheel and run it on the front or you can buy the same front the traxxas 2wd electrics have and run hexes on each corner.

thank you very much everyone. ill take all the information i can get on this.

IME, beadlocks don't hold very well unless they are purpose built to do so. I tried them many years ago and they were more of a headache than they were worth.

Try a set of duratrax faze mt 2.8's (they also have 0 offset, not sure which you need) on it. I have a set of those on the rear of my eJato and it will spin them up into pancakes, but they don't blow.

Proper prep (clean with DA, rough up with fine sand paper) and gluing with a quality CA (I use AKA usually) should hold up ok though, unless your lifting one wheel and holding the throttle wide open (WOT) all the time. That will cook your diff eventually as well.

ok, i am going back and trying the AKA glue, and the prep like you suggested. i also bought some preglued wheels and tires, and other prep stuff.
thank you all very very much! you have helped me make a little man very happy!

gentlemen, i wanted to write and update you. i got the AKA glue, and also bought some preglued wheels. they held!!!
we were outside rippin up the driveway! thank you so much for your help and kindness! my little man is thrilled, and I'm having a pretty good time too. i may have to buy myself one of these dudes.
anyone suggest any good all terrain tires that will do grass and gravel well? also, any tips on tuning the fuel trim on this unit? it seems right...idles a little high, and runs like a scalded dog!!!

thank you again, Eleven

Welp, looks like we sent her a little too hard bud....blew a U joint. LOL

thank you ! I was just online reading about it. we are really having a blast with this hobby!

Back